Satellite coverage and quality

Using single RS2, post-processing with OPUS. I’m sometimes in challenging locations. Tree cover is usually the problem. How do I use Emlid Flow to determine if one location is better than another? Is it the number of green bars on the Status view? Do the sigma values under Coordinates and Precision help?

Normally the RS2 should do the trick with a tracking sensitivity of -167dBm. (Acquisition sensitivity is -148dBm.)
So, you could start up your RS2 in a rather unobstructed/less obstructed area and after acquisition move it into the designated area. This is how I usually do it and it rarely fails me.

PS:

The delta in sensitivity is 19dBm resulting
in a 10 by the power of 1.9 overall difference in sensitivity.

It’s 79.43 times less sensitive in cold start acquisition mode.

Hi,

Here are the main indicators you should check while recording the log with your receiver:

Firstly you can see the Signal-to-Noise Ratio or SNR, which is the primary indicator of how good the reception is. The value is equal to the ratio of the power of the useful signal to the noise power. When the SNR of a satellite is over 45, it will be marked green.

PDOP or Position Dilution of Precision is the term used to evaluate the geometrical position of the satellites relative to the receiver. When the satellites are too close to each other in the field of view, it means the satellite geometry is weak (a high PDOP value). If the satellites are allocated evenly and high above the horizon, the PDOP value is low. A good PDOP value is considered to be below 2.

Do the sigma values under Coordinates and Precision help?

These values are more helpful when working with RTK. In your case, they can change significantly since the receiver will have only a Single solution.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.