RX review

Hello! Has any of you bought and tested Reach RX? I would love to hear about real life experiences with the receiver.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Real life experiences about the precision of the receiver, how well it handles tall buildings or trees etc

1 Like

We have been using one for about 2 months now and are getting the same accuracies as the RS2+'s. We don’t normally work in obstructed environments so I don’t have an experience for that but when I have gotten near or under trees it didn’t seem to perform any lesser. As long as you have decent data service that can push 1 mbps without too much latency it works great.

3 Likes

Bought it about two weeks ago. Works like a charm with german SAPOS-NTRIP Service (VRS), fortunately, EMLID provides DHHN2016 Height (Geoidundulation) corrections.
I compared the RX with our Leica GS18 in loose urban conditions, both fix super fast, precision is the same (Survey, Stakeout). Of course, RX has no IMU, less Channels, poor app … but -1kg on your poletop.
If the Reachview app will provide custom codelists and LineStakeout, then you can do 90% of your daily survey tasks with that device.
Regards
Jörn

6 Likes

If you are in need for those sort of things, I have tested the RX with Fieldgenius for Android, works like a charm with BLE for NTRIP.

6 Likes

What correction type are you select in bluetooth(output)?

1 Like

Should be ERB for FieldGenius.

I take the NMEA, the RX does not transmit ERB.

I usually just take the RS2 NMEA profile, as Fieldgenius does not have a RX profile yet. Remember to change the ARP-to-APC height though.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Reach RX! Sometimes I feel like it’s just released, so it’s thrilling to see how it’s already used in different countries and setups :slightly_smiling_face: If you have any pictures from your daily work with RX that you’d like to share, we’d love to see them!

2 Likes

Jörn,

If the Reachview app will provide custom codelists and LineStakeout, then you can do 90% of your daily survey tasks with that device.

Both feature codes and line stakeout are in our roadmap, so we’ll make it possible!

4 Likes

I’ve had an RX for about a week now. Love the light weight compared to the RS2, although the heavier weight made it a bit easier to hold steady and straight. The firmware on the unit was a beta version, which I’ve upgraded to version 1. Having an issue getting Reachview on Android to work with our free government NTRIP casters (they work fine with IOS Reachview), but I believe the developers are working on it.

Any experiences with tall buildings or trees?

You will find that GNSS in general struggles with tall trees and buildings.
Even if you get a fix, you will probably need to validate by doing multiple observations with hours apart to account different satellite geometries, and thus different multipath characteristics.

Specifically with the RX, you will likely find that performs equal or better than the RS2 series. The new antenna offers higher gain, but at the same time is more susceptible to multipath (due to lack of a groundplane).

Hi Russell,

Can you please share which NTRIP casters you’ve tested with your Android mobile device?

Kostis,

Reach RX handles some trees or buildings nearby fine. But Christian is right – any GNSS receiver needs at least several clear satellite signals to calculate a solution. So, GNSS units may struggle to calculate their precise coordinates when the sky view is blocked, like in an urban canyon or under a heavy canopy.

Hi Kseniia,

This is the service: https://gnss.ga.gov.au/stream

I believe the dealer who sold me the RX has already raised this issue with Emlid support.

Russell,

You are right – we’ve received a report about the issue with AUSCORS. Our devs are actively working on a fix for Android right now. I’ll let you know once there is any news about it!

I’ve been testing one for about a month now doing mortgage surveys with it. The RS2’s were amazing addition to our company. The RX has been another great addition as well. Performs just as good. I’ve located 3 and 4 story building with no problems. I can place the unit right on a corner and stay fixed. As long as the buildings are not heavily condensed you should be ok. Only problem I have encountered is the RX disconnects from the ReachView app from time to time for no reason. Just need to reconnect and you will be one your way again.

1 Like

Hi Greg,

So cool! Glad to know you have great experience with both Reach RS2 and Reach RX.

Only problem I have encountered is the RX disconnects from the ReachView app from time to time for no reason.

Have you tested it with the latest ReachView 3 version? If so, please share your mobile device model and OS version. It can help find what goes wrong and improve the connection stability.