Running RS2+ with RX through NTRIP over Windows

Is it possible to setup a RS2+ as a base outputting corrections on NTRIP Caster to a RX rover receiving the corrections through a Windows tablet running FieldGenius? I see that many have set the RX to run with FieldGenius for Android but has anyone set it up with FieldGenius for Windows? If that works, then I would suppose that the RX will run with NTRIP Caster just as easy as it would run with subscription NTRIP services, right?

1 Like

There is no issue using the RX with the Emlid NTRIP Caster. However, it seems that using a Windows NTRIP Client to stream the corrections to the RX fails, according to my own experience and some of my customers who run a Windows-based survey software on tablet.
I guess it is because Windows somehow encapsulates the data stream in an overlay and the data cannot be interpreted by the RX. What’s the opinion of the @Emlid team about this ?

1 Like

Hi guys,

We’ve tested Reach RX with Field Genius on Windows. And we even have a guide about that. It should work fine.

If you faced any issues, please tell us at which step of the guide it occurs. We’ll investigate that.

1 Like

Hi Svetlana,
Good to read that this works with FG on Windows. I tried and failed with the STRSVR module of RTKlib. Do you know if FG applies something on the data stream to make it readable by the RX ?

With strsvr, retrieving corrections from a NTRIP provider works smooth, but pushing them on the emulated COM port after the Bluetooth pairing fails. I tried different settings on the baudrates and everything, but no success.

Just showing the test here. The pairing emulated 2 COM ports, COM10 and COM11, on my PC.

I can retrieve the NMEA stream on COM10. So I figured COM11 can be used to push data in the other way.

We can see the positioning status on the GGA sentence. Here it is 2, which is Single + SBAS mode, so the device is not receiving corrections yet.

Now I retrieve corrections from a local NTRIP provider on STRSVR.

And then, in the Output tab, I select COM11, to redirect the corrections to the RX.

And start the connection.

And that makes the module crashed ^^

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the thorough description! It looks like the issue is indeed in how the data is transmitted from STRSVR. Not sure if we can recommend something from our side, but I’ll talk it through with the team. I’ll let you know if we have any suggestions or need more details about the setup.

Hi Florian,

Sorry it took so long to write back!

Just wanted to confirm that Reach RX can receive data from Windows 10 through a Bluetooth COM port. So, there shouldn’t be issues with it from the Reach side. We can hardly suggest something from the STRSVR side, though.