RTK with single Reach unit and CORS as base?

I am working within 5-7km of a public CORS station with NTRIP available.

Can I use a single Reach unit as a rover and the CORS station as a base with NTRIP corrections via the additional correction input in rover mode?

I’ve actually been doing this with a Reach RS set up as a base but haven’t tried in kinematic mode as I am unsure of the result.

1 Like

Quite a few Forum members do this. At that distance, you may encounter some degradation in performance versus second Reach as base close to your Rover. There are many posts. Search “Ntrip” in Q button (upper right) of page.

I’m sure many others here can answer specific questions re Ntrip. Certainly is convenient and eliminates need to have base unit.

1 Like

A lot of RTK units will have datasheets that report horizontal 2DRMS as 10mm+1ppm. That’s an additional millimeter added every million millimeters. You’ll sometimes read or hear people say accuracy degrades 1 centimeter every 10 kilometers of added baseline.

So at 5-7km you degrading 0.5 to 0.7 centimeters.

I’ve been curious about other effects of baseline length. Check out section 2 page 2 of the following white paper. It seems to indication that L1 only rovers my be impacted by long base lines in initialization time or the ability to initialize. I have not direct experience with this, but could be another reason to keep those baseline as short as possible.

http://ashgps.com/mirror/master/ProMark%203/Application%20Notes/PM3%20RTK%20White%20Paper.pdf

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies.
It makes logical sense that NTRIP should allow one to use a CORS station as a base with such a short baseline but to be honest it seemed too easy!

Regarding longer baselines, I have been using the same CORS station at another location with a 50km baseline and it does seem to affect the time taken to get an initial fix. With a 7km baseline I usually get a fix within 2 minutes and often within 30 seconds or so. At 50km it takes longer but still only 3 to 5 minutes.