RTK over LoRa radio video - Update Rate settings for BASE & ROVER?

In the video, what is the best setting, benefit or the difference of setting the UPDATE RATE for the BASE at 1Hz versus 5Hz or higher?

I see the video shows the BASE at 1Hz and the ROVER at 5Hz? Why?
Would both work best this way? If setting them both to 5Hz or more equally, would that benefit or hinder?

RTK over LoRa radio video at BASE Update Settings: 1Hz

RTK over LoRa radio video at ROVER Update Settings: 5Hz

Thank you for the help!

Tim

2 Likes

Personally if I was setting up a base to log in a control point for 10 minutes I would set it at 5hz, but for normal operation 1hz is good because it is stationary. The rover benefits from a higher rate when it is moving. Especially in a situation like auto-topo. I think something like a drone may benefit from even higher, but I am currently running it a 5hz and it seems to be fine.

1 Like

Wonder if BASE is at 1Hz, would it lag behind when receiving when ROVER is at a higher Hz rate? Or does a higher rate for the stationary BASE have a negative affect for everything to work optimally? I know the higher the rate the better for the ROVER (especially for moving or fast moving rovers)(and if the device supports it also). But the BASE, was just curious why the video states 1Hz instead of 5Hz, 10Hz or 14Hz? (Depending on GNSS satellite selection availability obviously).

The update rate is between the receivers and the satellites, not for the corrections from base to rover. It’s a matter of how often they are logging their position with the satellites they see.

1 Like

Sorry, yes, I worded it incorrectly.

So yeah, between the receivers and the sats. So I guess since the update rates are 1Hz and 5Hz, not the same, wondering why? Versus making them the same update rates or the fastest update rates possible for the sats chosen.

I know it isn’t the same, but you know, like when comparing CPU speeds, or television/monitor refresh rates, the higher the better… I guess the same thinking I have here with the Update Rate with the receivers and sats? ; )

I think the elephant in the room is, “What is your angular velocity?”, or “What is your acceleration?”

If your rover is stationary, then it is 0, and if your rover is moving steadily in a direction, then it is also 0. Both are predictable and you don’t need a lot of data samples to show either a point or a line.

If your rover is in motion and is under some acceleration, then you might want an increased frequency of data samples so the traveled path becomes more defined.

The other thing is, “How many data samples should you have?” Obvously lots is good (for confidence), and if the rover is stationary then collecting a lot of samples with a low sample rate is even better (for diverse satellite geometry). Although I’m not sure if there is much benefit to a high sample rate for a stationary rover.

2 Likes

I guess if I follow you correctly, the BASE doesn’t need a higher rate since it’s stationary just sitting there. (as @michaelL mentioned) But indeed the ROVER does, especially during movement / tracking, which i totally get. (Again, if device such as data collector supports a higher Hz rate that is)(obviously ReachView Survey etc does).

So i guess using 1Hz for the BASE or even 5Hz doesn’t really affect the performance overall i guess since it’s not moving? (I know its ideal to set base as kinetic vs static, even though static=stationary sounds like the proper way)

Rover with higher rate will result in a finer sampling rate of collected points versus a course sampling rate. Most noticeable with faster moving rovers such as drones. Not needed so much if using a manual rover pole at a normal walking speed, unless your running / sprinting from a lion and really have to get those points in RTK mode! ; )

I guess where it (base) could have a negative effect is when using a Hz rate that is too high, and drops the available amount of sat constellations to choose from. Which is not ideal as the more sats the better obviously, especially for L1 RS/RS+.

All in all, if i am “ASSuMEing” correctly, since BASE stationary, really no reason to set any higher than 1Hz as to no extra benefit.

I just assumed higher rate with BASE also would maybe possibly help with a faster fix etc? Even if base is set to Kinetic vs static.

1 Like

I had seen it and it generates confusion! I use 1 Hz on base and Rover

Yes, as i recall, like my similar situation though using a old data collector Trimble Nomad 900G and FieldGenius, i have to set my rover to 1Hz as that is as high as it (Nomad) will support and in order to have smooth non-lag display of rover movement. I think your model data collector actually supports 5Hz, but i think you couldnt get it to work either. Therefore your 1Hz setting.

On my old Surface Pro though I can run FieldGenius no problem at 5Hz for the rover.

But if a device can support higher Hz rate, then best to use that. I.e. newer data collectors, Surface Pro, laptops etc when used with Rover. And obviously with rovers such as fast moving drones. Higher the rate the better to sample more points while traveling at higher rate of speed.

fieldgenius and Survce with 5 Hz the stakeout is very slow since we had commented before

1 Like

Yes, limitation of my Nomad 900G, 5Hz will not work, but 1Hz does for real time rover movement and stakeout. : )

Glad the 1Hz solution works for your data collector with FieldGenius and SurvCE now. ; )

1 Like

found this response from Igor about using 1Hz update rate for BASE.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.