Rtk arduino. Combinding Reach with Arduino microcontroller?

Hi,

Does anyone has experience combining Reach RTK with an Arduino microcontroller?

Thanks!

nobody?

I have mine feeding an Arduino Due.

Hi Eric,

could you share us some more information on your setup? How is it wired to the Due?

Thanks

It is connected via serial tx out of Reach to rx in on Due. Using a variant of tinygps+ Arduino library to parse the NMEA stream. Easy as it gets Arduino wise
:slight_smile:

tinyGPS library doesn’t seem to work for me strangely enough. What baudrate did you use? What output settings on your rover config (device, baudrate)?

I tried looking for the Arduino sketch I used (since moved on to an Onion). Could not find the latest but found some of the early ones. I seem to remember having to change the assignment for the RX pin reading output of the Reach but these earlier version sketches do not show that. I’ll keep looking I know I have it hidden away somewhere.

ok, keep me posted

How are you sending base station corrections? I’ve been trying to use USB OTG with a telemetry radio, but I suspect it can’t handle serial on radio and arduino simultaneously…?

Also, I have been using NEOGPS library if anyone was looking for tinyGPS alternatives.

Just reading along here, I don’t nessessarily have answers (actually more questions)
but do you mean to split the USB connection supplying power and communication to both the radio and arduino? I’d get really nervous considering that option.
Or do you mean using the included jumper to hook up the arduino and then power the radio via otg? That seems reasonable and logical

Can’t you just take for granted that the radio is plugged in and assume the NMEA sentences outputting to your arduino from the reach are already resolved? (I did)

I’m working with a rover and I’ve made some early assumptions and hope I won’t still need to deal with offset correctional data.

To earlier in this thread: Thanks for the tip with tinyGPS! I greatly enjoyed deleting my fail code I created by trial and error trying to parse NMEA sentences.

I think that is the most common way to do it for the lower powered radios.[quote=“rusty74, post:10, topic:4811”]
Can’t you just take for granted that the radio is plugged in and assume the NMEA sentences outputting to your arduino from the reach are already resolved? (I did)
[/quote]

I can get NMEA sentences over serial link from the DF13 connector, but I can’t receive Base corrections via the USB radio. I haven’t looked into in depth yet, asides from checking the obvious.

I’m not working with radios yet, I will take that on in the near future. I was referring to the NMEA sentence automatically implementing the correctional data when outputting to the arduino. No idea what is involved once you use a radio. Thanks for the reply, some good things for me to note for later on. I will find out soon if the NMEA sentence has correctional data implemented, I don’t know if that is useful to you but I’ll say something about it in this thread later. Cheers!

Has anyone come up with schematic yet or reading the NMEA data from Reach to Arduino?

Would be interested in seeing that done.

-SK

Very easy - Have a look at tinyGPS or NeoGPS.

Simpy set reach output to be serial UART, USB-UART adapter, or even something like bluetooth and use a bluetooth breakout board on the arduino. Tx, Rx and ground for serial connection, and you can even power the reach using the arduino 5v output.

I’ve been using reach output set to llh, and simply printing the llh string to the arduino to a SD card or to a telemetry radio output. NMEA might be better and I have used it in the past but I’m a bit insane with my thesis at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. Also good point in looking at the Arduino codes. I’m looking hard at TinyGPS++ right now.

I have the components for my project. Still working on code snippits in order to tie it all together.

Probably bigger than I should have taken on as a first time out project.

-SKnox

My first project was using neogps and an Arduino with reach, it’s a lot of learning but it’s achievable. Don’t let the complexity of the libraries scare you off, once you get some understanding of how they work together it is easy to follow.

Best of luck

More excitement and fear of uncertainty makes this a good hobby.

Have powershell background. New to the electrical side of things.

Should pick up the coding pretty quick.

Of course, I’ll keep posting to the forum along the way. Maybe what I experience and solve will help the next person.

-SKNOX