RS3 tilt compensation work with external software

Field Genius Android 2.6 has been released and RS3 IMU functionality has unfortunately (and hopefully temporarily) taken a step backwards. And there is an ask for Emlid here.

It appears the situation is deeper than first thought, I believe it isn’t related to the one-way outbound NMEA custom ETC tilt compensation informational message but at a much deeper level and higher value feature rich firmware driver with two-way interaction and control. E.g. same IMU commands as Flow.

My understanding is that the driver was a result of some great initial collaboration between Emlid & MicroSurvey but along the way some great firmware development work got out of sync and the FGA driver broke.

Currently with FGA 2.6 the only way I can use RS3 IMU is to now fall back to the simplistic forced compensated NMEA GGA and GST messages from Reach 32 Beta. However, that comes with a number of downsides including no indication if the IMU drops out so a real risk of bad data (the incoming position to collector will quietly switch to being recorded vertically under the leaning antenna ARP and you won’t even know). Otherwise in FGA 2.6, there is no longer a mention of IMU, no IMU turn on/off and even the bubble has disappeared.
If you are using a SIM in the RS3 for corrections the driver behavior may be different, I’m currently obtaining NTRIP via the collector device internet.

The compensated GGA & GST alternative is not an option for me personally, and I’m really keen to see the high value RS3 IMU features return to FGA ASAP. And I’m sure other users here would be keen to the see the synergy between both organizations continue and grow.

So, I think EMLID has a part to play in reaching out and helping to resurrect this valuable FGA feature and my feeling is given the deep level of the driver interfacing it may also present an opportunity for ratcheting up a more structured ongoing process of regular technical interaction and ongoing synchronization with MicroSurvey as you both beaver away continually improving your excellent products.

Can do?

2 Likes