RS2 will not charge

We have multiple Reach RS2 models and lately one of the rover units has stopped charging. We first noticed it in the field when we left the unit to charge over night, but when we woke up the charge level (dots) remained the same. As it was taking up space for charging other equipment we left it off and eventually ran out of juice. Now when we plug it in only one blinking dot will show and the unit turns on automatically, but if we turn it off there are no dots indicating the unit is charging.

For context the firmware of the unit is 30.1_r3, and when I looked into the simple report I noticed under the Device section both “power_on_bottom_connection” and “rv3_banner_shown” read false. I’m not sure if this is helpful in any way but figured its better to share.

I will try to update the firmware but in the mean time was hoping I could get suggestions or troubleshooting methods for the issue.

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Your Reach RS2 rover unit seems to have a charging issue. Here’s what you can try before updating the firmware:

1. Check the Basics: Make sure the charger and cable are working properly. Try a different charger and cable if possible.
  2. Clean Connections: Dust or debris might be preventing a good connection. Clean the charging port on the rover and the cable connector.
  3. Forced Reboot: Sometimes a simple reboot can fix glitches. Try a full power cycle - turn off the unit, unplug it, wait a while, then plug it back in and turn it on.

If these don’t work, updating the firmware might be necessary. But trying these first can save you some time.

There’s ChatGPT again. :face_with_peeking_eye:

ChatGPT obviously doesnt know that if there isn’t any power or sufficient power, updating the firmware isn’t possible or recommended until stable power can be had without bricking it.

Hi Jack,

Have you tried using a different power source and cable, and when did the issue start?

Could you send the full system report to support@emlid.com when the device is connected to the power source since the FSR might contain sensitive data?

Thank you.

Hello,

Yes we’ve swapped it out with multiple cable/charger combinations that work for our other units but still nothing for the one that won’t charge. We noticed that it would not charge a few months back, but because we were busy in the field we weren’t able to tackle the issue immediately.

Thank you, I’m actually talking with them about another unit so I’ll send that to them also.

1 Like