RS2+ Spare gray cover

Hi, I’m trying to get the replacement for the gray cover, I asked to dealer and they said that Emlid don’t provide the replacement, It’s that correct?

3 Likes

Hopefully they can sell you the part? If not, maybe glue back together? Clear Epoxy, SuperGlue etc? Or melt/fuse together with soldering iron? Would look like hell and toxic fumes though but may be better than nothing.

If all else fails… Alabama Chrome.

https://www.acmeplastics.com/content/which-glues-work-for-polycarbonate-plastic/#:~:text=Superglue%2C%20also%20known%20as%20a,it%20ideal%20for%20quick%20fixes.

1 Like

I would say getting a new cover is the least of your worries.
You need to get the unit verified for accuracy.

I have seen phase center deviations up to 15 mm on units that experience a shell cracking fall like your unit.

6 Likes

If that’s the case then OP, set up on a accurare known point, then check against it using another nearby known point to see if any change.

1 Like

You better shoot multiple points with about 10 different headings on each point. No way I would trust that unit to repeat +/- 0.05ft without a factory inspection.

6 Likes

Factory verified inspection?

Does Emlid provide that? Who does? :woozy_face:

Hmmmm? This may be where Emlid should consider selling an Extended Maintenance Plan?

2 Likes

We offer that as a yearly check in RTKConnect.dk on the RS-series receivers. Basically 24h obs mounted on a 70 cm baseline, post processing up against one of our RTK reference bases.
Usually the cosmetic condition matches the amount XYZ offset measured.

4 Likes

If you can’t find a replacement locally, then you could contact me directly.
(commercial seller)

3 Likes

Hi Danilo,

I wrote a PM to you as we will be discussing sensitive information.

So, you are telling me that the unit is useless? when you offer this with the product?

The unit fell off from the bipod (2M pole), what we supposed to do?,
You are telling me that the product doesn’t resist any drop situation?

2 Likes

Had a similar situation with my RS2.
Unit kept on ticking without issue.
Still using it up till now
Sealed it up with Epoxy Resin.
Be careful not to get any on the area above the antenna.

1 Like

Wow. The shell cracked like that just from a 2m drop? Was it still attached to the rover pole/bipod? A sideways fall where the elastomer bumper took the brunt of the hit?

Or were you unscewing it and just the receiver fell 2m and onto the polycarbonate shell or the elastomer bumper?

Personally if a replacement shell part will not be available, I’d fix it myself and run several tests to determine if garbage or not. Then sell it on ebay or something to some poor sucker. Could probably 3d print another shell, but the elastomer is probably factory fused to it? I have other different machines and devices where the manufacturer provides replacement parts… like a car manufacturer does.

I’d do some research to see if in fact SuperGlue (or other solvent adhesive) can join the 2 pieces minimally before using thicker denser clear epoxy.

Fyi, a small pilot hole can be drilled at the end of a crack to stop the crack from continuing. Not saying to do this, up to you, but just something I have run across from other things. Some people are fine with “rigging” something if it still works functionally in the end within their tolerance and some will just buy another one $$$$. Everyone is different.

3 Likes

You can 3d print another “cover”. They provide the 3d model online for free.

2 Likes

https://files.emlid.com/hardware/reach-rs2-rs2plus.step You can 3D print it yourself.

2 Likes

Correct, you can not buy these covers.
You need to buy a whole new unit.
It is very disappointing but that is what we get for buying a unit that is at a lot cost compared to other higher end brands.
Pretty sure if you buy a Trimble they will fix it if this happens, but for the cost of one of them you could buy a heap of these.

2 Likes

Every time I have had either a Trimble or a Topcon worked on it has been $4-5k ensured. Not insured… When you start running several Emlids one or two for insurance is nothing compared to the $50k you saved.

5 Likes

We designed the unit to be impact-resistant, and it does use the shock absorber, which helps it remain intact in most situations. However, when the Reach falls, the result can vary significantly depending on several factors, including the surface it falls on and the angle of impact. For example, a fall on concrete versus grass can have different results due to the different degrees of shock absorption. Predicting the exact behavior and extent of damage after a fall can be challenging.

As Christian and Michael mentioned, a fall that caused this crack can affect the accuracy of the Reach device and how accurate the survey will be.

4 Likes

Can you tell me more about this? I’d like to use this service

Have written you a PM

The OP has reached us directly to ask about a replacement part, and we presented a few options for that.

5 Likes