RS2 rover says that base has fewer satellites

Your first interpretation is correct. That is my situation. It’s that the base is not transmitting corrections for all the sats that it sees…or at least that the rover is not receiving all the corrections. This happens even if the units are right next to each other in a flat landscape, like in my photo. I’m trying to understand if this is expected behavior or not.

If you change the snr mask or the elevation mask, does the number base sats change? That should be a good indication of what is going on.

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the info!

The quantity of the satellite signals that the base receives and sends to the rover can be different. The base doesn’t transmit the correction messages from the satellites that have low SNR. The data quality of such signals won’t be enough to calculate the Fix solution as they are very noisy.

Your base has tracked overall 37 satellites but transmitted only 32 signals as the rover showed it in the Status tab. It means that 5 satellite signals were of poor quality. They won’t be transmitted so that it won’t affect the solution calculations. It’s the method of how the receiver’s algorithms work, there’s no issue in the device.

It’d be great to check the logs from the last survey. However, as I’ve mentioned in my previous post, the data from your previous survey showed that the base didn’t transmit heavily interrupted signals with the SNR is less than 25.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Liudmila and others. This makes a lot of sense. I’ll stop worrying about the difference in the satellite numbers. I am very pleased with Emlid’s product quality and support.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.