RS2 new/missing features, firmware roadmap

Hi Emlid Team

Thank you for working so hard on the RS2, it truly is an amazing achievement. Well done!

I was wondering if you could share any outline “roadmap” you had on future firmware updates - for example SBAS reception?

All the best

1 Like

Hi,

In the meantime, we don’t have a roadmap to show. We’ll consider sharing one in the future.

3 Likes

Please do. Sorry to harp on subject, but I hope localization is somewhere near the top.

2 Likes

What I don’t get, is WHY was this omitted? Is SBAS not considered useful enough? From what I understand with the RS/RS+ it was best to select SBAS along with GPS as both can be used together to an advantage… so I guess the RS2 does need to now since it can use other sats at the same time. i.e. GLONASS and BEIDOU.

Just one of those things really that make you wonder… if it’s even worth wondering about?

2 Likes

SBAS for me with the RS+ wasn’t worth much from my location. All obs from SBAS are between 10-20 degrees and thus usually not the greatest of SNR’s. On the other hand, BEI gives me 6-9 usable sats all the the time, and RTKLib can use these more effectively in the post processing.
Would it be nice to have SBAS as well? Sure, but indeed nice to have.

2 Likes

Central US at this current date and time and location, I have 7 GPS and 3 SBAS, which could be used for a total of 10.

the 3 SBAS (in range) are between 25-45 degrees at all times, which is very useful here in the US.

And how many BEI ?

BEIDOU 7
GLONASS 7
GALILLEO 5
QZS not in region: 0

15 deg mask

edit: I guess the point is, wonder why they omitted SBAS altogether? I guess just a simple answer it’s just not beneficial with the RS2? or is it? : /

2 Likes

Not having SBAS isn’t a showstopper. It is however a useful addition / backup / fallback when there is no RTK correction available.

I’ve just come to expect it as standard on most receivers from garden/basic to rolls/top range. I guess it’s omission is a bit of a surprise. That’s all.

2 Likes

agree.

It’s very close to the top :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.