RS2+ internal antenna type and performance vs. M2 with helical

I’m having trouble finding information on the antenna inside of the RS2+ enclosure. The survey performance specs are the same for the RS2+ vs. M2 units with the helical antenna but I am wondering if anyone knows specifically what antenna the RS2+ uses?

It has been shown that performance can be improved for the M2 in static surveys by using the Harxon/Swift Nav GPS 500 instead of the helical antenna. Is this comparable to the RS2+ or would it be more cost effective to use a GPS 500 antenna with an M2? (excluding battery, LoRa, modem, etc.)

Cheers,
Christian

1 Like

Hi Cristian, I can’t help you with information on what type of antenna the RS2+ has. I own two of the RS2’s and also an Emlid M2 along with a similar Swift type antenna; the

Ardusimple Calibrated Survey GNSS Tripleband + L-band antenna (IP67)

(Calibrated Survey GNSS Tripleband + L-band antenna (IP67) - ArduSimple) USD $228.85 and I get good comparable results with both units. The M2 setup along with small battery pack, rover rod and bipod is so light and easy to carry, though I only typically use it in wide open spaces, because of possibility of snagging the antenna/power bank cords in light brush and trees. I then turn to the durability of the RS2 receivers.
Ardusimple also offers a lower priced Calibrated antenna;

Calibrated Survey GNSS Multiband antenna (IP67)

SKU AS-ANT2B-CAL-L1L2-15SMA-00 Category Antennas

In stock! SD $171.35 Availability: In stock

3 Likes

Thanks for your input and the links for patch options.

I do like the portability of my current M2 setups and the ability to grab whatever size battery I need depending on the use for that unit on that particular day (rover vs. base). I have an opportunity to upgrade the M2 units with either a new patch antenna or get a couple of RS2+. I have access to a VRS so I can make use of LTE modem in some but not all areas here in the Southwestern US. LoRa is not critical as I mostly do static surveys and post-process.

Wonder if anyone has cracked open an RS2+ and peeked inside? Or if maybe EMLID can provide more details on the RS2+ antenna? :smiley:

Cheers,
Christian

1 Like

Hi Christian,

Reach RS2+ and Reach M2 are both multi-band receivers that can achieve the solution with centimeter-level precision even in somewhat challenging environmental conditions. Choosing between RS2+ and M2 depends on your working process. If you need to collect the points in RTK or do the static survey, it’s more convenient to use RS2+. Mainly because the receiver is equipped with an internal battery and can be easily placed on the tripod or survey pole. It also can connect to the internet via a built-in modem with a SIM card. M2 receivers are usually used on drones so it’s quite tricky to place it on the pole with the antenna and attach the battery. But if it’s okay with you, feel free to use this setup.

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct that the receivers (ZedF9P chip) are the same. I’ve been using M2 units for drone and static surveys and was an early adopter of Reach RTK single band receivers which were used for static surveys.

I would like to know what antenna is inside the RS2+ unit?

Cheers,
Christian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.