RS2+ disconnects from hotspot

After the last 2 firmware updates I’m having the same issue with my RS2+. I use mine as a base to collect static data for LiDAR mission. I’m using iOS device. I also have a RS2 and have no issues. My issue is that it’s having trouble connecting to phone through the hotspot and when I do get connected it won’t stay connected very long. Also when connected I can start recording static data and when I connect again to stop recoding I can’t get it to show me the files and it acts as if it never finished compressing the rinex files. Even when I connect through local network it has trouble connecting and staying connected.

Hi @jburge,

Since your issue is with an iOS device I have created a separate topic for it. Let’s investigate your case:

• How do you understand your device is disconnecting from iOS? Do you have to reconnect manually or does Reach reconnect to the hotspot by itself?
  • You mentioned that there’s no issue with RS2, does that mean that RS2 can connect to the same hotspot without any disconnections?
  • Is it possible to check the RS2+/hotspot connection on another iOS or Android device?
  • How do you understand your device is disconnecting from iOS? Do you have to reconnect manually or does Reach reconnect to the hotspot by itself?
    Both. sometimes it will connect back by itself and sometimes i have to hit refresh several times to manually reconnect it. for example… i have some recorded logs still in the storage and when i try to retrieve them it just spins for +/- a minute and then says connection to reach was lost. then 15-20 seconds later it will automatically reestablish the connection but displays no recorded logs. also when trying to get it to start logging it will start but then show that it lost connection. and when trying to stop the logging it will let me stop it but then it loses connection and when it comes back i dont ever know if it finished compressing but I can’t see the logs anyway.

• You mentioned that there’s no issue with RS2, does that mean that RS2 can connect to the same hotspot without any disconnections?
    well after using the RS2 this morning for some reason, it recorded 4138 separate rinex files during a flight which I’m not going to spend the time to try and download each file and combine them. I’ll just spend another hour re-flying my mission tomorrow when the winds die down. i realized that there was another firmware update so both my RS2 and RS2+ are at 31.7. I did a 15 minute test with the RS2 and now it seems fine. tested the RS2+ and still no good.

• Is it possible to check the RS2+/hotspot connection on another iOS or Android device? i dont have an android device to test it on. i did test it on an ipad mini and i get the same issues.

it just spins for +/- a minute and then says connection to reach was lost.

Can you share a screen recording of how it looks for you in the application?

i realized that there was another firmware update so both my RS2 and RS2+ are at 31.7. I did a 15 minute test with the RS2 and now it seems fine. tested the RS2+ and still no good.

Did the log splitting issue also appear on RS2+ and wasn’t resolved after the firmware update? Is that correct? If so, can you share the settings you chose in the Logging tab?

Can you also advise if there’s a SIM card installed in RS2+?

I I’m trying to upload a screen record and it won’t let me. Is there an email I can send it to or send a link to download the screen record?

And no SIM card installed. Also tried it on another iOS device and same issue. I’ve done a hard reset and still doesn’t work. Is there another reset that I can try?

You can send a video to support@emlid.com, and I’ll check it.

If you don’t have import logs on your RS2+, you can reflash it by following the instructions here. We don’t usually recommend this step when troubleshooting connectivity issues, as it usually helps with non-operational issues.

I would like to summarize our investigation so far:

• You can’t connect your RS2+ to the iOS hotspot after the 31.6 firmware update (you were able to connect before). Is the Maximize compatibility option turned on? Can you connect to a Wi-Fi network on your Reach?
    You have RS2 which can connect to the same hotspot without any issues. What firmware version does the RS2 have?
  • You had an issue where multiple small logs were created instead of one. We have released 31.8 firmware addressing this. Please update and let me if you encounter any issues after.

Please also send a Full System report of both RS2+ and RS2 to the support@emlid.com.

I have emailed a new video of the same issues with the RS2+ after I upgraded to the latest firmware.

the RS2 seems to be working well. I used it last week and had no issues with the collection or with it trying to store individual 1 second files. I guess that was a one-off issue for my RS2.

I also emailed the full reports for the RS2 and RS2+.

I will wait foy the team to take a look at the files and video before i flash the system.

thank you for all of your help!

Got your report! Let me take a look and answer once I have any updates.