RS2 “ Classic” vs “MSM” RTCM3 output for base mode

I posted RTCM3 MSM compatibility issues? last week about issues receiving the older MSM Type 3 messages (RTCM3.1?) from a VRS/NTRIP provider (Trimble network), so I think what @DirtyHarry is asking should be implemented for both Base and Rover functionality.

My company has existing Trimble GNSS equipment that is slowly aging out. One of my main goals is to assess the ability of the RS2 to replace these much more expensive GNSS. However I’m finding that the RS2 works excellent with itself, but not so much with other manufacturers. This is a big stumbling block in my mind. Adding RTCM3.1 compatibility would go a long way to overcome that hurdle. The result would be that my company not only uses the RS2 to replace the aging Trimble equipment, but also purchases additional RS2 GNSS (or other Emlid products) to vastly expand our GNSS use.

Currently we have a small fleet (~10) of high end GNSS, compared to need, because the cost of full expansion is prohibitive. The RS2 looks to be the solution to that, but it has to play nice with the main GNSS players to be fully effective.

8 Likes