RS2 can record L5?

I think at least two of those Antennas support 3 GPS bands as well as other GNSS bands. That is a little difference.

If RS2 would be sold in a store it might be false advertising to write L1/L2/L5 on the box because other products would not, even if they contain the same receiver. In Germany the producers of other products might force Emlid to correct that.

As long as they are sold online and the product page does not use this kind of probably misleading terminology I personally think one should forgive this error and we do not need to think about bad intensions because you find many sources within the web calling the ZED-F9P an L1/L2/L5 receiver.

I think it is not worth worrying about since one will not see a relevant disadvantage from not having GPS L5, at least not for some years and I guess you will buy the next generation anyhow if you work on jobs where it would make a difference. There is a nice article of Ken Rockwell regarding lens sharpness - I think that is somehow comparable.

BTW,

I borrowed a Leica system yesterday to compare with my old Reach units. Guess what, L5 was not enabled and RTK simply did not work eventhough it came directly from the configuration/update service which did cost almost as much as a RS2 (that was not my fault, the owner tried 2 hours to get it to work). I love my old Reach devices. I did test @wsurvey’s recommendations to enable GPS/GAL/Beidou and received 28 sats and the SNR and cycle slip occurence does look far better than with GPS and GLO.

Of course one can send it back - but I don’t think there is an alternative to the RS2.

I also don’t think it is very likely that L5 will be added by firmware update since as linked further up L5 (=E5a) seems to be outside the frequency range of the receiver.

5 Likes

Nice. Did you fly a mission? Any missed events? This is a stable configuration for me. Latest 2 flights show no missed events.

28 satellites is going to give you perfect opportunity for QC and widen your processing options which should make you a better professional.

2 Likes

I did not fly a mission but only did some surveying on the ground. I’m currently building a new copter and hope to finish at this weekend. In the next two weeks I will fly missions with at least 5.000 images, I guess than we will know. I have to write a script which checks if the image is missed because of cycle slips or because of the configuration. I hope that cycle slips will not happen any more with the new copter (did only happen with wind above 8 m/s with the old one).

I’m running a test now, without copter but under bad conditions.

I did 3 times 250 images and got 3 times 250 events. That is very promising I think.

4 Likes

Which camera is that?

That is an old Canon EOS M first generation. Runs Magic Lantern and is therefore nice for testing. Quite light with an 22mm lens but outdated… . Did not fly with it.

2 Likes

GPS+GAL+BDS is stable so far for both of us. You are also now spoilt for number of satellites for flight processing. In your part of the world today you would briefly see 17 satellites as a minimum above 15°.

Interesting page provided by IAC in Russia, showing different constellation coverage maps.

https://www.glonass-iac.ru/en/BEIDOU/characteristic_en.php

3 Likes

Yes, I’m very happy with your recommendation! Great maps!

5 posts were split to a new topic: Reach M+ missing events

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.