RS2 Base unit under power lines-problem?

The last couple of times that I’ve taken my pair of RS2’s out in the field I’ve had great difficulty getting a Fixed position on the Rover. Both times I initially set the Base unit under a powerline. After moving the Base unit away from the powerline I had better luck getting Fixed positions.

These two setups were after upgrading to the later version of firmware in the units. I had read elsewhere where users were having to roll back the firmware version because of problems obtaining a fix.
So I’m wondering if the powerlines are the problem or if the firmware is the problem.

2 Likes

If I should put my finger on something, I would put all my fingers on “powerline is the issue” :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I agree. High-voltage lines have been known to limit the signal distance in our experience, even with our Topcon equipment and machines. I can always tell when I touch any metal part of my rover poll and feel the static then I know to stay away and rearrange my control accordingly.

2 Likes

We had to add a booster amp to our permanent base stationj for farming as there is a high tension power line between us and one of our farthest fields.

I have been told by Trimble that setting up your base under power lines can interfere with Sat data too.

2 Likes

Hi Frank,

I want to confirm that it’s hard for receivers to get clear GNSS signals under power lines. GNSS signals are not very powerful, and, as @jp-drain-sol mentioned, power lines may interfere with them.

There should be no difficulties with obtaining Fix on the latest Stable firmware version. If you’d like, you may try our latest 26 Beta 1 firmware, as there are some improvements that allow RTK to work even better.

Please note that Beta releases are great for trying new features, but they are not tested long enough to guarantee they will work flawlessly. That’s why we don’t recommend using them while doing some important surveying jobs.

1 Like

Thank you to all who replied. So if I understand correctly it is the signals from the satellites that are being interfered with and not the LORA radio signal between the units?

1 Like

technically, both.

2 Likes

Powerlines generate electromagnetic “noise” or interference to GNSS signals so that is why both the RTK radio, NTRIP connection and receiver’ signal tracking are affected. Move away your RTK base

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.