RS2 5G support

Are there any plans to upgrade support for the RS2’s so they support 5G? 3G is going away and right now coverage is spotty at best. I use a hotspot but it would be nice if I didn’t need to worry about carrying another device around every time I go out.
Thanks.

L like your idea but 5G is overkill for the connectivity on these kinds of devices. We also have to understand that 5G is like boosted WiFi and will only have a signal radius of 2000ft or less without obstructions. You will see 5G hotspots start popping up in mass in medium to large cities or you may already have them.

1 Like

3G is just spotty and going away. I can believe these guys haven’t updated their cellular technology yet.
I have a MiFI hotspot that supports 5G it work pretty good depending on who your carrier is and their coverage but it would be nice if I didn’t have to carry another device around…wishful thinking I guess.

1 Like

I’ve heard rumors of 4G taking over these kinds of applications but I don’t know if that is set in stone or still being engineered. I just hope they don’t get rid of 3G and 4G. I prefer the hotspot myself because I have so many devices to connect throughout the day and everything is networked.

2 Likes

Hi Joe,

Reach RS2 won’t support 4G or 5G since its built-in modem is 3.5G. However, we’re constantly improving our devices, so we’ll see what we can do in the future!

1 Like

I live in semi-rural and even 4G works horribly inside my own house. It’s not like I live out in the boonies, I am at a busy junction in the heart of a village. The jump from 3G to 4G was catastrophic in terms of signal strength as it would probably cost a fortune to have decent antenna coverage for a relatively sparse population. My phone often switches to 3G on its own because it lost the weaker higher frequency signal.

I recently switched provider to test out a different network, not much better. I can’t even start to imagine when 5G will roll in. If they phased out 3G in my area, I don’t even know why I would keep paying for the spotty service, it’s just too short range.

Considering we often work in undeveloped areas, I don’t think the benefits of having an integrated 5G receiver is worth the price increase when we can piggyback on the hotspot of our own devices, especially since it’s possible to get tablets with SIM-card slots, which makes the 3rd device argument moot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.