RS+ or RS2 in Base/Rover Setup

Hello,

I am looking at the Emlid products for quite a while now and I consider buying one system.

My main task is to measure fixed points which I need for setting up grids for geophysics.

So for example I have to setup a 20x20m grid on a field so I have to define the corners and later reference my measurements on a map with this coordinates.

I am living near the Alps in Bavaria and we don’t always have the best satellite availability.

So I definitely would go for a base/rover setup.

Now my question. If I have setup the RS+ Base over a known point and I go out in the field with my RS+ rover and take my measurements wouldn´t it be as good as the RS2? I know it has multichannel etc. but if I go for stationing the base it over a measuring point then I think it wouldn`t make a difference or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Welcome to the community! Hope you’ll like it here :slight_smile:

A valid question you have. What’s essential here is to correctly evaluate your working conditions. To put it very simply, the multi-band receiver has more signals to work with. This allows the receiver to work in more tough conditions, somewhat complicated environments when the single-band receiver would struggle.

So, if your conditions are close to ideal - open sky visibility, no electricity lines nearby, no severe obstacles - then both RS2 and RS+ will show the same results, just that RS2 will calculate the solution faster. However, when it comes to environmental complications or, for that matter, the need for longer baseline, the game stops being fair and RS2 wins.

So if you’re planning to set up grids on open fields where you won’t be blocked by the mountains or the trees, you can use RS+ just as well. If the situation is a bit different, then there are questions.

Can you give an overview of a typical surveying site for you? Just so that we can understand more about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.