RS+ Longevity

Folks,
I’m keen on the RS+ x 2 for GCPs and PPK with drone work.
I’ve been told that the satellite system that is used for the RS+ will be turned off / degraded in a few years and that I should be going for the RS2 for a long term investment.
Is there any truth to this whatsoever?
Joe

Maybe there was a miscommunication because the RS2 uses the same satellites but it also Supports L2 and L5. While I agree that the RS2 is a better choice it’s highly unlikely that GPS L1 is going to go anywhere in our lifetimes. The RS+ and M+ are great for the drone but ground surveying can be challenging if the conditions aren’t right. The RS2/M2 are much more robust.

I’m assuming you won’t be needing to do rtk on the drone so you could still use an M+ for that but get an RS2 for your rover/base.

5 Likes

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Emlid community forum!

No worries! There is no GNSS to shut down any time soon. All systems are constantly growing and improving.

Reach RS+ is using the same GNSS as Reach RS2. These systems are GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou, IRNSS, and QZSS.

The main difference between Reach RS+ and Reach RS2 is that the first one is a single-band receiver, while the second is a multi-band. You can check the guide in our docs to learn more about their difference.

3 Likes

They are always on the fence about WAAS continuing but they seem to always extend it its time.

But that does not even matter, with 2 emlids you are making your own correction service.

The +’s work well if you a patient for a fix, and mostly have open sky.

The 2’s just perform fast and well under almost any condition. I am not sure how much GNSS can improve from here.

1 Like

Totally worthless for rover survey work near / under tree canopy, buildings, urban areas.

Would be nice to see a FIX comparison of the RS2 and the Hemisphere S631.

I thought the fix was the initial base fix took a while? Do you mean if I wanted to do a GCP with the rover that I would have to wait longer than 10seconds? How long?

@timd1971

The RS2 was fixing no problem in this tree cover. Base was 38km away. So I think that is pretty good performance.

I think if you got out and used yours more you could have some fun with it.

I routinely use an m2 for machine control, only looses fix for a split second in these trees with only gps, and glonass enabled. Taking corrections off a non emlid base.

So again RS2/M2 is a performer. Not sure why your so mad about price and performance. Deere would charge $14500 + 1200 a year for the same level of performance.

2 Likes

Sorry just a reflex from reading all your previous price complaint posts.

But at least you can see what the 2’s can do now. I also find the m2’s helical holds a fix better in challenging conditions on tractors. Though a patch antenna seems less jumpy than the helical in open sky conditions.

2 Likes

…and Topcon and Trimble and Leica…

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.