[RS+] Internal memory acces... such as mass storage?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there were any way to access the RS+ internal memory to get the survey points or the log files.

More precisely I was looking for a way to access it as a simple mass storage, but I am not sure it is possible since the USB port is also OTG.

If not possible, is there any other way? The main idea is that a user with RS+ and his smartphone get some points, then connect the antenna to a homemade controler which pulls the points (Sadly with no Wifi), process them and display a polygon.

All ideas are welcome!

Hi @Ne0tuX,

I was wondering if there were any way to access the RS+ internal memory to get the survey points or the log files.

The only way to download survey projects and data logs is via ReachView app. It requires the connection to the device’s hot spot or establishing the connection through another Wi-Fi network.

You can download logs and other data on your tablet, laptop, etc. through ReachView app and then use other means to transfer it to your controller.

Thank you for the answer!

It is unfortunate not to be able to pull the log files without using the app. It means that the antenna can’t be untied from the rover to get some specific points (Sometime the rover is too big to go, or the user needs to set a specific point by himself), processed when tied again.

Are the logging and survey points only “user accesible” trough the App, or is it possible to get them via Wifi from a distant controller (With wireless connectivity)? I guess it is not possible too.

Transfering logs from the antenna to a tablet/laptop, then from it to the controller (via USB key for instance) is too demanding and that’s precisely what I try to automize.

The only solution left is to do the logging directly on the controller but the App Survey interface benefit is lost, meaning that I have to build a similar interface by myself in order to let the user trigger the points’ logging.

Eventually, let us know if in the near future internal memory access is granted. I have read other testimonies on this forum asking for more direct means to access the log/survey points then through the Web interface/App.

Hi @Ne0tuX,

Are the logging and survey points only “user accesible” trough the App, or is it possible to get them via Wifi from a distant controller (With wireless connectivity)? I guess it is not possible too.

May I ask you to share more details about your controller? What are you planning to do with it? Would you like to output the position to your controller?

If you need to use your survey points on a 3rd-party controller, you can output the position to it over BT or TCP and collect points in the controller.

Hi @polina.buriak,

And thanks again for your answer!

On my actual setup the antenna push points through the RS232 output to the rover controller, which logs/processes them for a later use. All of this works fine but has one major flaw: it can only gather points from places the rover can fit in. Unfortunately, to move safely the rover, the controller needs a few more informations such as spatial boundaries , which are to be defined by a human.

So my idea was to benefit from the RS+ battery by untying the antenna from the rover (So losing the UART connexion) and use the App Survey tab to get the few needed points. Then finally plug the antenna back on the rover so somehow the controller can get them.

Thus my question about how to pull back any survey results from the internal memory, or even a limited storage access directly from the controller.

Without these human defined points, the rover wouldn’t move because of safety concerns. A RS+ mounted as a mass storage on USB would have been perfect, and very convenient for user to collect logs via a laptop in places where wireless connexion is not practical!

Hi @Ne0tuX,

Sorry for the delayed response!

I’m afraid I can’t fully understand your workflow. Could you please clarify if you mean the GNSS antenna in this case?

We highly don’t recommend disassembling Reach devices as in this case we can’t provide the support for any hardware issues you may face. If you require the possibility to unplug the antenna, you can consider our Reach M+ device.

Thanks for the request! I’ll forward it to our team for consideration :slight_smile:

Hi @polina.buriak,

By “the antenna” I intended to mean “the whole RS+”. The idea is to use it on a rover most of the time, but sometime to take the RS+ away from the rover and make some survey points by hand. Then plug it back to the rover controller, which would grab these specific points stored in the internal memory, process them and resume its usual task.

Hi @Ne0tuX,

Thanks for the explanation!

As far as I understand, you output the postion from the Reach RS+ to your controller via RS232.

Does your controller support connection over Bluetooth or TCP? In this case, you can configure position output from Reach RS+ to it and there would be no issues with taking the unit away from your rover.

2 Likes

Hi @polina.buriak,

You’re absolutly right, we actually use RS232 as a way to transmit the position. Unfortunately we do not have Bluetooth nor TCP connection on our rugged controller, thus the question about a “cable” solution such as USB.

Thanks again for your answers, this topic might be paused until further notice.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.