RS+ as Base with RS2 Rover (suburban location)

I have read previous threads on this subject and wanted to followup with my own situation since I am new to the topic of surveying.

Is it possible to use a RS+ as a Base on a suburban street (most of the time I would be able to get 200+ feet away from tree canopy) with a RS2 as the Rover performing data logging around suburban homes (2 story) and canopy trees (some 50+ feet tall) within a 2-6km radius of the Base? My intent is to have multiple (2-4 units) RS2 Rovers logging off the RS+ Base every day.

I am asking in order to reduce expenses, provide durability for daily use, and all while obtaining most precise data points.

Thank you for your input.

Nick B

1 Like

It will work But you will not get the benefit of the RS2 rover , You need a RS2 as a base to get good results

1 Like

Is there a way to get the L1 base free of obstructions ? Like on top of a building would be an ideal location. The problem with L1 receivers is multi-path, they need a full sky with no obstructions. If you have a limited sky view with the RS+, then you will have a large amount of cycle slips (lost data) and the rovers RS2 will have a hard time getting fix in already challenging areas. If the base doesn’t get a fixed position, then the rovers won’t either. The solution would be to use a RS2 (multi frequency) receiver for the base. You will get better fixes in the bad areas.

RTK in challenging areas with canopy and limited sat view is always a hit and miss proposition. Also, you may not have a “fixed” position when it shows “fixed” without some kind of verification. I would use your “fixed” postions in difficult areas with caution.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. It does seem like I will just be better off with two RS2 units.

Since I am suburban, am I able to utilize CORS with a sub foot degree of precision and an ability to continually keep a connection?

I will have a rover where I need to track for many hours daily. With economy of scale, I don’t mind running two units, but if CORS is reliable within 6 miles then that would reduce cost.

1 Like

Are you in the US ? NGS CORS doesn’t provide any real time corrections. Maybe your state geodectic agency provides RTN. Here in SC, it costs $600 year and is very reasonable. If your state has a provider, you should get cm accuracy. I check our RTN service about twice a month on passive published stations and it usually agrees 2-3 cm with the published coordinates.

Hi Nick,

The RS2 rover will require the multi-band corrections, that is why the single-band corrections from RS+ won’t provide enough data to calculate a fix solution. You can use that setup vice-versa, but you will lose the multi-band benefits of RS2.

Obviously the setup with two RS2s is the most optimal case, as you’ve mentioned.

As Bryan noted, not all the CORS stations provide real-time corrections. You will need to find this out from your local provider. You can refer to this map to see the list of available stations nearby.

Plus, if you are planning to have two RS2 units at your disposal, you can make your own caster and send corrections over the Internet. As you’ve situated in the suburban area, there should be no issues with the Internet connection. That method could give you up to 60 km of baseline. You can use the free NTRIP caster service as RTK2Go.

The LoRa signal as any radio signal is prone to deflection in the areas with buildings and other objects. However, it should work fine in a range of 2 miles.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.