Rpi3 + Navio2 - Cannot perform Image processing Tests without desktop utility

Hello all,

I recently bought a Navio2 and would like to put a Rpi3 + Navio2 combination on a quad with Rpi running my image processing algorithm. However, the pre-configured raspbian image provided by emlid does not come with desktop utility, making it impossible for me to visualize the output images during test runs.

I would like to know if there is a work around to get the desktop running temporarily. I will revert it during actual flight but need it for ‘hardware in the loop’ simulation. Or if there is a way to configure the original Raspbian for Navio2.

Commands like “startx” , “startlxde” and “startlxde-pi” responds with “command not found” error.
Also, Please note that I am planning to use dronekit-python for communicating the output of image processing algo to control the quad (High level control - Mavlink communication protocol).

Thanks
Kashish

1 Like

Hi!

You need to install the packages that contain the DE, not just only run it.
To do that use the following command:
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods

Then reboot:
sudo reboot

You can find more information on Raspberry Pi forum:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=166806&p=1074099

1 Like

Hi @mikhail.avkhimenia

Thanks a lot for your reply! But unfortunately I still get the same error. I tried installing the packages that went through without any error. After reboot, I still get the startx: command not found error.

Thanks
Kashish

1 Like

Hi, Kashish

Take a look here. There is step by step guide how to run Raspbian Lite with GUI. These instructions are applicable for Emlid Raspbian image.

1 Like

Hi @ivan.smirnov

Perfect! It worked. Thanks a lot for your reply!

It’s similar to what @mikhail.avkhimenia had suggested, but it needed Xorg and Xinit to host.

Thanks Again
Kashish

1 Like