RINEX logging rate feature request

Dear Emlid,

I have finally received my Reach, from my point of view a very well rounded product!

I would like to request a feature regarding ReachView logging, currently I’m using ReachView version 2.9.3-r0 and I’m unable to select a recording rate (or recording frequency, as you prefer) slower than 1Hz, I understand that for kinematic surveys it doesn’t make much sense to go below 1Hz but for static sessions it is convenient to have the ability to store one epoch every 5, 10, 15 or 30 seconds. I’m well aware that using RTKlib I can obtain those frequencies out of 1Hz recorded file but it becomes a two step process when it could have been just one.

Please move the “Logging settings” / “Log split period” slider to the Logging window.

It would also be nice to have the observation frequency drop down selection menu in the log window (after all RTK refers to real time operation and I’m mostly interested in post processing).

One last thing, it would be nice to be able to fill in the RINEX header information within ReachView

Best regards

Isaac

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks!

You can change the observation rate by changing “update rate” inside the RTK settings tab. I do not really see a point in going below 1 Hz, as you can easily store a 1 Hz 24 hour log on Reach’s storage.

Fair enough :slight_smile:

What fields are you interested in?

Hi Egor,

In my case I would like to leave the Reach as a constant monitoring station recording GPS + GLONASS + Galileo. In a long static solution a higher frequency does normally mean a overly optimistic positioning result due to the high temporal correlation of the errors in GNSS observations. Plus the size of the file is unnecessarily large.

Let’s do a practical scenario one of my 24h recording (GPS+GLONASS+Galileo) was 41.6 MB (zipped) taking in to account that we have 2252.8 MB of space in Reach memory I would be able to store 54 files (not bad at all) however if we reduce the update rate of the file to one epoch every 15 seconds we would be able to store 812 files (practically speaking means infinite storage).

Weeell that is a good question! My easy answer was “let me introduce every field that RTKconv let me” but after having a bit of a hiccup with the real time RINEX conversion within REACH I switched my mind from “store everything in RINEX” to “store everything in UBX and do the conversion latter”. So I’m retracting my petition, at least by now.

Note also that I stopped recording RINEX in real time because it meant that everything was duplicated (RINEX+UBX) which was taking a lot of space.

Besides my suggestions, congratulations on the excellent job you are doing!

Isaac

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 100 days. New replies are no longer allowed.