Right tool (antenna) for the right job - Patch versus helical on M2 for ground use

For specific options, what I bought:

I had to grind the MCX connector base slightly so it would clear the M2 body. For that reason, I believe a MCX separate from the cable is desirable. Finding stock MCX male ends that fit is actually difficult.

1 Like

Also these are handy, I use them to adapt up bigger, or use the bigger mcx ends.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000512530939.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.41f61343lVQZmR&algo_pvid=902c69d1-665c-4331-a5d2-eb3b0ae114be&algo_exp_id=902c69d1-665c-4331-a5d2-eb3b0ae114be-32&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"10000002518441641"}

This one from emlid store is it ok?

1 Like

I have bought the one from Emlid and 3rd party vendors. All have worked fine.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, it’s perfect, as long as having a 2m cable is not a problem. If Emlid had a selection of different lengths from 30cm to 3m it would be amazing. The other option is to buy the bare connectors and cables and crimp your own but that’s a pain in itself.

Thanks for the replies. I have three 15cm sma to mcx cables and also the 2m extension cable from emlid. Unfortunatelly the original 0.5m sma to mcx cable broke…
I will buy the emlid TNC cable but I may buy some adapter (sma to tnc) in order to use the 15cm cables in some occasions.
I have also ordered a 4g usb router in order to get rid of the old samsung phone that I use as wifi hotspot. This way I will simplify more the setup.

1 Like

Like a lot of people here, I was just going to use the supplied helical with the M2 for ground work. After reading this I was going to buy a gps1000, but remembered I’ve got a Novatel OEM pinwheel antenna from way back in 2016. How would it compare? Pinwheel-OEM-UM.pdf (385.3 KB)

Out of curiosity I checked some older static observations with rtkplot.
The receivers used are:

1. esurvey e300 pro (2021)
  2. Sokkia 2700ISX (2010) with novatel antenna
  3. Spectra Precision (2010) with novatel antenna
    I checked only the L2 freq on GPS and GLO.
    Here we go:
    E300 Pro

Spectra Precision

Sokkia

If wizprod can comment on these plots it would be nice!

The logs should preferably be quite a bit longer. That helps filtering out the flukes.

Can you provide the obs/nav files here?

I sent you pm.
Unfortunately I don’t have longer raw observations. They are about 3-4 hours max.

This looks really odd on L2 GPS, like it’s capped to 45 dbhz. Could be a RTKPlot bug, but it usually just eats everything. Antenna performance at low angles doesn’t seem fantastic, but not bad.

This one is pretty wierd!
L2 Performance on both band is not very good. But it is also very inconsistent, especially on GPS. Very few cycleslips, so it doesn’t look like there has been blocked skyview.

Poor low angle SNR on L2, but at least consistent when compared to the above.

1 Like

So is this worth messing with, or stick with the helical?

Helicals have serious issues for ground work, stick to a patch-design when on the pole. That would be my advice.

Helical is great on the drone however, and much lighter too.

1 Like

I actually use that patch Novatel on my drone lol. But it’s a 17kg X8 swinging 8 29" props. Came with the Pheonix Lidar system. Just didn’t know if they were a lot of changes from 2016 in respect to antenna design.

Can’t believe that beast is still flying, always sounds like it’s going to tear itself to peices.

1 Like

Spectra Precision Epoch 35 was not so good although it costed 10K euros at its time.
Sokkia GSR2700ISX also costed 7-10K at its time but was great.
E300 Pro costs 3-5K and is made from chinese esurvey. It has very good performance and has great tilt function.
I keep the Spectra for it’s UHF modem in case i need it. Sokkia was sold.
My goal is to have a semi-permanent ntrip base with emlid M2 at my home and use the rest gear as rovers.

@SRBell
what a beast!!!

First task completed. I got rid of the old samsung phone (hotspot) and got this nice 4g wifi modem from aliexpress.
Only one dual output powerbank is needed and they work nice together.
Now waiting for the Harxon GPS500 to arrive.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.