Rfd900 coverage/reach

sorry again! how can i set rfd900 to a specific frequenz: 869,4-869,65 mhz

allowed in austria!

should be
http://vps.oborne.me/3drradioconfig.zip !

same as rfdtools.

i can only set min and max freqā€¦!?

are u using latest Sik 1.9?
you could use AT commands like described here (SiK Radio ā€” Advanced Configuration ā€” Copter documentation) and set min max frequ manually, but I donā€™t want to guide u since i have never done it and donā€™t own these radios :frowning: nor i know how you are supposed to handle min max frequenciesā€¦
its described as: enter AT command mode with ā€œ+++ā€ in terminal; use command ā€œATS8=868,XXā€ for min freq and ā€œATS9=868,XXā€ for max freq - and exchange AT with RT to define remote radioā€™s configs;
but at your own riskā€¦and i donā€™t know if 3dr commands are the same as rfd900

1 Like

thanks again to banky and bide.

i used 3drradiconig with the terminal an set it with ats8 and ats9.
first time i did forget to safe it to eepromā€¦

next time i would test rfd on my silos 15 m above earth and will give feedback.

after the hange i can also set more frequenties in the standart rfd900 tools!!

@bide @panky

back again. i was able to set settings with ats commands to my allowed settings in austria.

i get a connection about 2.5 - 3 km . quite good.

if have played with the settings. if i use duty cycle 20 % its ok. with 10 % i good no luck.

do you know together hanging of duty cycle with airspeed?

i have read a lower airspeed will increase coverage of radio.

best regards andreas

I am using 100% duty cycle myself, so I have no real experience, but I do believe that lower airspeed gives better signal coverage (distance)

At 10%, it would be good to know if ā€œno luckā€ means that the transmitted data has too much latency, or if it means no data/corrupted data.

I donā€™t know what the reason was !
Distance 2 m no connection with 10 %
20 % all worksā€¦
If I work @ base with 1 hz gps&glo and 5 hz at Rover : how much traffic is from Rover back to Base? What is the min airspeed I can use?

Other fact : if I set duty cycle to 100 %
Does reach send then more data? If I look at red light rfd 900 donā€™t send all the time.

Yes, I understand, I just meant it would be good to find out why.

The base sends to the rover, and I donā€™t think there is any traffic from Rover to Base. Still, I think 64000 is probably the slowest airspeed that would work without increasing duty cycle.

Reach and the radio are independent of each other. A crude analogy would be that the radio creates a ā€œpipeā€ in which your data flows, and so more airspeed and more duty cycle make a larger ā€œpipeā€. Less airspeed and less duty decrease the size of that pipe.

Reach base sends more data when there are more satellites in view, and if the pipe is not large enough to accept all your data, then it sits in the queue, and the Reach rover is receiving older and older corrections and that is not good for RTK.

i think there is an option in rtknavi & emild told me that every rover needs its own base at the moment.
and i know that some ntrip server also want this optionā€¦

if there is no data transmited von rover to base i would possible to set dutycycle to zeroā€¦

You can also set a radio to receive only by setting the DUTY_CYCLE to 0. That will work best if you set NUM_CHANNELS to a low number, as otherwise the clock synchronisation will be poor.

(from SiK Radio ā€” Advanced Configuration ā€” Copter documentation)

ok thanks! learn another thingā€¦

At the moment switching back to internet. need more coverage for working.

mounting my tw3710 on my trekkerā€¦

1 Like

@panky @bide

thank you for your tips!

i was able to setup my rfd with your suggestion. i did buy a new 4dbi antenne.
i use sik 2.5

i tested coverage with my car and was able to get signal ~5 km.

if everything is ok i will take rfd from my roof to my silo 15 m above ground and test again.

an other question: i was not able to turn ecc =1. is error connection usefull for reach?
sometimes signal is not good and delayed up to 10 seconds.

at the moment i use adr 24 with 30 % duty cycle.

1 Like

Even though ECC mode should help with data quality, supposedly it will introduce latency which will increase the age of differential.

Incidentally, with the new Reach 2.0beta the age of differential is displayed on the status page. That way, you can monitor it to make sure it is not getting too high.

yes i have read that ecc will help to get good quality. i doubles also the data. but i have enough space for switching it on.

i use at commands to set settings but
always when i send ecc=1 - i got back an error message - i was not able to switch it on.

does it work together with other setting or does it not work with 2. firmware?