Reminder about external GPS

This was driving me nuts all evening, and I just wanted to throw a reminder out there to anyone that might be having issues with connecting an external GPS to the navio2 UART port. I’m not sure if there’s a better way to do this, or if this is something that Emlid can work into the image file… but I cursed the bloody buggered hell out of my project until I re-stumbled upon this one. Nevertheless, once I changed “enable_uart=0” in /boot/config.txt to “enable_uart=1” the GPS started working like a charm!

"This issue is that when you disable the serial port for boot using raspi-config, the serial port is also disabled for ANY use.

To fix this you MUST set “enable_uart=1” in /boot/config.txt

This is really a bug in raspi-config."

1 Like

Thanks for noticing! I have a question, though. What image had you been using and why had you needed to poke around at raspi-config? Serial console is disabled by default and /dev/ttyAMA0 gets created nonetheless. That’s why I don’t understand the need to change anything. I’m looking forward to your reply!

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out :slight_smile: I honestly had no idea, and disabling the serial console had become a habit developed years ago with other Raspberry Pi projects. For me, going into raspi-config is always my first step after a fresh install so as to expand the file system; while in there, why not disable the serial console? Anyway, it’s been months since I had bothered with this project and I had forgotten most the fine details of my previous builds :slight_smile:

ps: I’m using the newest image posted; release dated 12-29-16 I do believe