Relative Stakeout

Greetings,

I am looking at the Reach products and have a specific use case. I’d like to be able to paint off a map of the world in an open field. Is this easy to do with stake out and non-absolute points?

Workflow idea:

• Get a map of the world as a vector, import into AutoCAD
  • Generate points along the outline and export as a DXF or convert to CSV. i.e. +10.2 feet N, -15 feet E
  • Import into RV3
  • Set the base unit in the middle and tell RV this is 0,0,0
  • Stake out the points and mark

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Local base or CORS via NTRIP?

This would be using a local base.

I would go on Google Earth, find a common point between their aerial and what’s still on the ground and get a coordinate to manually enter into Base Mode. This will get closer to a true coordinate much more quickly than what you will get from an averaged single shot. Using that base shoot in the extents of where you want the map and then bring those points into CAD as the basis of you map placement. Create your points, setup on the same point or one of the points you shot, check into another point and start staking out.

2 Likes

Another way to do it (we all tint our suggestions from our different fields, I guess) could be to work from absolute coordinates. I don’t see a need to be in a planimetric arbitrary coordinate system. Your base can be located anywhere, and you can choose how precise you want to be. If the field is huge and you have a certain leeway with the boundaries, averaging the base position might be good enough.

To prepare your stakeout, using something like QGIS or ArcGIS, you could use a WMS orthomosaic basemap, which are usually georeferenced well enough, to be able to create your field outline (your canvas boundary, I guess). Importing the vectors and scaling them to fit inside the canvas shouldn’t be too hard and then it’s just a matter of converting the outline of whatever you want to draw into points, leaving them with absolute projected coordinates.

Then in Reachview, you can create a project with the same coordinate system and import your points. Stake out should be easy from there.

1 Like

Thank you sir, I much appreciate the help. I am just a homeowner and like to keep a working drawing of improvements, underground lines, etc. We have an old manual TS but measuring points and layouts with one person is really time consuming and I do not have the budget for a robotic TS. In addition, I can only find one of the property pins. I want to be able to square up garden sheds and the like with property lines or N-S. We also have some drainage grading issues. My thought was do it with the TS and plan in AutoCAD or just drive stakes with a rotary laser. But I think we could basically put the rover in a wagon and drag it around to build a point map and pull into the computer. The Reach products look like a great tool for this sort of thing. Thanks to you and the community.

1 Like

Hi @mh_shopping,

One more lifehack for you! You can find approximate position of your base with Google Earth or something and make a plan in CAD based on this point. Then, you can go to the site, find where the base point actually is and apply a base shift.

This way, all your points for stakeout will be shifted to their real positions too.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.