Realtime Grading Feedback?

Hi folks,
I’m considering a pair of reach rs+ for my property. I have a significant amount of grading to do that I intend to do myself using a mini ex and a compact track loader with a 6 way blade, etc. Rather than being in and out of the equipment with a laser receiver, I like the idea of using rtk.

What’s the minimum investment beyond the devices themselves to be able to visual my blade position relative to grade while driving? The dozer blade has a mast mount.

I see that there are some commercial offerings like FieldgGenius but the price is more than the receivers, so I was hoping there was something cheaper. :slight_smile:

Lastly, if anyone has a good resource besides youtube for learning about surveying and excavation, I’d love to learn the right way instead of the hard way.

cheers!

1 Like

Hi Gus,

Welcome to our community!

You can start with this list of Android apps used with Reach: maybe one of them will suit you. But our users tried out many other apps as well. Hopefully, someone with a similar application can give a piece of advice :wink:

Lastly, if anyone has a good resource besides youtube for learning about surveying and excavation, I’d love to learn the right way instead of the hard way.

You can dive into our docs to get more tips about what you can do with RS+. The docs contain not only step-by-step guides but also more theoretical descriptions of surveying techniques. If anything stays unclear, feel free to ask!

Perhaps GitHub - Pat-I/OpenGrade3D: 3D grade control can help.

2 Likes

Thanks folks! In terms of weighing the receiver options, it seems like if I’m not working in a challenging environment and I’m patient the single band should be fine? We’re in a very rural area, so I don’t think signal strength will be an issue. Any other reasons to consider the most expensive rs2+?

Get the dual band, its fast, it deals with partial obstruction, fixes faster, recovers faster.

The level of hassle is much reduced.

5 Likes

Trust me like @PotatoFarmer said it is well worth its money when it comes to acquiring a fix and stability

1 Like

Hi Gus,

Single-band receivers show their best in open fields. If obstacles like buildings or trees partially obstruct the sky view, I’d join David and @PotatoFarmer and suggest a multi-band device.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.