Ready to Buy? Localization a must

I would like to know the likelihood that Reachview will include localization at some point? I have about 20 crews that I would like to put on the RS2 w/ Reachview platform and without localization I just can’t do it. An honest answer is fine as I will buy a set for myself, but I am in the process of planning our layout workflow for years to come. Thanks for all the hard work and constant improvements!

5 Likes

Localization, Site Calibration, Base Shift or GNSS Local Transformation is a must.

Is this being incorporated soon?

We all know that Google Imagery, OpenStreetMaps, etc is not accurate enough to work with. Defeats the purpose of using cm accurate Emlid Reach equipment when using mapping system that is not? Fine for GIS and general work, but not for surveying, construction and high precision work etc.

We need a way to be able to “localize” to a point on site in order to stakeout etc from there.

We also need standard Coordinate Systems and Vertical Datum, GEOID support also in order to localize.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I must point out that more importantly the method of localization is used to compare each located control point to all the other control points as a network. This distributes the error of the entire data set by aligning to multiple points in both X, Y and Z. It also gives you an indicator if any one of those control points does not meet a certain accuracy requirement as it relates to the rest of the control points so that point can then be taken out of the control network. Once this process is complete your gnss coordinates are then completely tied to your local grid control network.

1 Like

We are all waiting for support of other datums and localisation.
Hope it is soon, will make it more useful in survey.

2 Likes

Just curious, what other datums are you interested in? Just to be clear that you don’t need other projections if you have localization.

2 Likes

UTM with Arc60 datum apart from the normal wgs84 and latitude/longitude.
Local system is when you work on engineers drawing.

1 Like

Understood. We compare all of our ground and drone data to surveyed/engineered CAD files and do further analysis from within there. This is the primary reason that localization is a must. Are you a registered surveyor? Terrestrial or aerial mapping?

1 Like

Terrestrial but considering venturing to drone mapping for topographical surveys.
In my country Kenya we use Ac60 datum for mapping and cadastre.

1 Like

Go for it! You will not regret it. Even a survey derived from a mix of drone and terrestrial data will be a huge benefit. Honestly that is the best combination at this point. Severe grade breaks and hard structures should be surveyed on the ground and the 3D breaklines created from that as you probably currently do.

I am not familiar with your coordinate system, but it sounds like it may be like the State Plane coordinate systems in the United States. Our major problem is that there are several zones per state! In Texas, while it is a large area, we have 5 different official zones and many times surveys are still not on that precise basis. Another reason for localization. If your surveys can be directly translated without scale factors or shifts then localization may not be a huge problem for you.

1 Like

Converting to State Plane usually isn’t a field issue. That’s an office issue. In the field, you need to be able to pick a point and direction and sync up the equipment with that point and direction. North on the drawings is not going to be the same North that GPS gives you. The drawings distances might need to be scaled.
We need a workflow like this:

• Setup Base over a Point A
  • Input coordinates for Point A in X,Y,Z feet or meters.
  • Setup Rover over Point B
  • Input coordinates for Point B, or alternatively the bearing between Point A and Point B.

Additionally, COGO operations once your setup is critical as well. Surveyors need to be able to stakeout to XYZ, Station and Offset, along a curve, etc.

Currently, the only practical way to do this is takes many steps: Collect data in the field, Import into CAD, do all the localization operations in CAD, export to Lat/Long CSV, import into ReachView, and stakeout. I haven’t tried this yet, but I don’t see why it won’t work if you have time on your hands.

In construction conversion is on the fly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.