Reachview 3 unit change?

I really need to use feet and inches. The new app was reported to offer this option but I can’t find how to change the settings. Can anyone guide me with this?

1 Like

From custom coordinate system

To be fair its only the American public, the US military is a metric machine.

1 Like

No let’s not.

Thanks for the exciting dialogue! In the mean time I’m still needing to work with feet instead of meters. How do I get it changed??? I can’t find how to change the settings or whatever. BTW, I’m getting too old to “adapt” my former ways to the metric system.!>!>!>!>!>

Are you saying the coordinates have a setting? I’m not sure what I’m missing.

Use ReachView3, not 2 to assign a coordinate system besides metric.

Select your coordinate system for your region.

For most, you have the choice of Meters, International Feet, and US Survey Feet. Best to just move to International Feet as US Survey feet is being deprecated in 2022. (Note the US is not going away from the Imperial system, just US Survey Feet).

There you go, that’s what I needed. Thanks for the explanation and the link!

Your probably going to run into a wall though. I think the list Emlid provides has mostly Metric coordinate systems. Then you’ll see options for (ft)(international ft), then some for (usFT).

But the thing is, say your looking for i.e.
NAD83(2011) / (your state here), there is ONLY metric or usFT, no ft (international ft)??? Some are missing (ft)? What gives? I do not know. But I use FieldGenius, which has all 3 units of measurement. I guess it’s just a matter of inconsistency with the Emlid list???

If you look for i.e. NAD83(2011) / UTM Zone 11, there is ONLY metric. No usFT, no ft. So you’re stuck with that.

And further, hook up a geoid for orthometric heights? You’ll see that only metric and usFT is available. I.e. NAVD88 height.

So basically, even when usFT is deprecated in 2022, and you want to proactively avoid that and move forward with international ft, you cannot, as there isn’t a “international feet” unit option in the meantime for the intended coordinate system and geoid you need to use. Again, FieldGenius and other 3rd party apps give you this option.

So you’ll basically have to just use metric or usFT if using ReachView3 only. I am sure you’ll be fine with usFT, but so much for being proactive?

Also, keep in mind if using 1 rover receiver via NTRIP CORS RTN, the coordinate systems must match for both your ROVER and the CORS station. I would assume that goes for units as well???

As I remember it, what RV3 displays is the same as the EPSG code defines.

1 Like

Yes, but still missing those unit options either way. Just pointing that out when OP runs into this problem I did awhile back.

Personally, I just use third party full survey apps anyways. They have the complete coordinate systems with the choice of metric, international ft and US Survey Ft. Works for me.

Yeah, I said, “let’s not”… but it’s just one of those things that will probably never go away in the USA at all. I am sure there are plenty of articles why not… but being in the US, and among US surveyors, getting rid of the US Survey Foot is just something that is a big no no in the survey, construction world.

Yes, I admit, it is more complicated than the easy breezy metric system.

In many other fields, like automotive, engineering, product design, etc in the US, it’s metric. We don’t have a problem with metric… it’s just some industries that may never in all eternity ever change due to the history, records established, current and future projects.

You’re correct about the limited options. I did find a choice on the list for my area that allowed me to down load the files for NAD88 usHT. So I now have it working with NAD83 & NAD88. The drawings I work off of are in Ft/tenths, so the Metric Feet is perfect for my application.

I build drainage on farms and use the RS2 on various machines as well as for staking. I was using it today on my Extend-a-hoe backhoe for grade control. I had to dig a slope and trying to use it with meters is virtually impossible for me to achieve. After I got it displaying feet/tenths, I was off to the races.

Thanks again for your help today.

1 Like

The metric system is no different than what’s used by the USA surveying professionals. The usft or ift is divided into decimal parts just like the metric system. Both can be divided into whatever accuracy is needed. Hundredths or thousandths.

100ft= 100 parts ( 0.00’)
100ft= 1000 parts ( 0.000’)

100m= 100 parts ( 0.00m)
100m= 1000 parts ( 0.000m)

I don’t see what’s so hard about it. I guess it goes back to what kind of public or private schooling everyone had growing up. We were learning the metric system in the 4th grade where I grew up.

1 Like

I understand the math. What is difficult for me is the conversion from meters to feet.

If the design (I’m a dirt contractor) calls for a grade of 1157.3 feet, I need the display to show my current position in feet so that I know instantly how to adjust the implement, either up or down, and by approximately how much. The machine is moving and I don’t have time to perform a calculation and then figure out how much the meter equivalent changes the height. I don’t even know how much a meter is compared to a foot, but I can judge the space of a foot pretty accurately by sight having done it for more than 50 years.

Hopefully this explanation helps to illustrate the issue I’m faced with if I don’t have a read out displayed in feet.

1 Like

Yeah, nothing hard about it when it was engrained in your skull as a child. We also learned BOTH growing up in elementary school.

I think what people feel is hard about it, is the feet and inches and fractions. I.e. 4’-1 3/16" and converting to decimal when needed, 4.098958’ and then further calculating in your head.

Use a good third party app like FG

2 Likes

If they are using feet and inches in surveying, they need to learn the math

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: RV3 shows “m” instead of “ft”

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.