Reachview 3 failing to import points from CSV

Hello there,

Our Reach RS2 arrived a week ago and slowly getting around how everything works, having an issue however importing points into Reachview.

I am able to successfully import WSG84 into a WSG84 project, example of the top lines below:

Name,Easting,Northing,Elevation
P1,-1.29332503,50.74710332,94.41

However, when trying to import OSGB36 into a OSGB36 project I get a “Could not import file, Header does not contain name. Check the format requirements and try again.” error. Example of the top line:

Name,Easting,Northing,Elevation
P1,449953.011,94405.761,48.381

This will import correctly if I manually enter the details as a new point, but with 140+ points this isn’t ideal. I’ve tried all lowercase, all uppercase and same error occurs. In case there was any error with my data I’ve tried just importing a single line as above - same issue.

Is there anything obvious that I am doing wrong to cause the import not to complete successfully?

Thank you,
Tyler

2 Likes

Hi Tyler,

The fastest way to find out where the issue lies would be to check the file you’re trying to upload. There can be special symbols, wrong formatting, or something like that. If you do not want to share the file publicly, just send it to support@emlid.com

Hi Tatiana,

As a new user I can’t upload attachments. I will email the support email.

Kind regards,
Tyler

Hi Tyler,

We’ve received your ticket. I’m going to look into the files and will get back to you with the results.

Tyler,

I forgot to ask: what is the ESPG code of the selected coordinate system you’ve used?

Hi Liudmila,

EPSG: 27700.

Thanks,
Tyler

Tyler,

There is a broken entry at the end of a file. It’s a point 138:

P138,#DIV/0!,#DIV/0!,48.381

I have removed this string. Now the file can be uploaded without any issues. Can you try this too?

Hi Liudmila,

Tried again (and had tried previously with just a single line of data) and still had an issue importing. I have forwarded an amended CSV.

Kind regards,
Tyler

I don’t know if it’s the case here, but there was another person in the past weeks that was having trouble importing CSV and it was found that if the CSV was taken from a Google location, it created problems.

1 Like

Hi Tyler,

That’s looks weird, for sure.

What OS version is installed on your device? Can you check the app version? You can find it at the bottom of the Profile screen.

Also, thanks for the note from Gabriel: do you save/open those files as Excel? ReachView 3 doesn’t support the import of Excel files. Probably, the issue lies here. You can take a look at the following thread of a similar case regarding import from Google Drive and Excel files:

Hi Liudmila,

Android version 11 (build RQ3A.210905.001), and ReachView version 6.7.

Just in case Excel was the issue, I re-opened in just Notepad and re-saved just in case there were any unusual characters being copied across. Used the same method for WSG and OSGB.

Kind regards,
Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for checking this anyway!

I’ve sent you a file in the direct support ticket. Can you try to import it in a project with EPSG:27700? Let me know whether it worked out for you.

Hi there,

We’ve found the possible cause of the issue with import. This file contained an invisible symbol that couldn’t be handled by the app. The interesting thing is that some Android devices can read such files fine.

We’re going to investigate this further. I’ll get back here with an update once I’ve any news to share. In the meantime, as a possible workaround, you can try to delete the file’s header and write it manually.

Tyler, I’ve re-write one of your file’s header as an example. So, please check it on your Android device. You can find the file in our direct correspondence.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m back with good news: we’ve fixed this issue that prevented some CSV files from being imported. Please, update your ReachView 3 app to the newer version. I’d love to hear how it works for you now :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.