Reach View 2.2.5 USB to PC solution output

Reach View 2.2.5
Ubuntu 14.04

I can see in the position output a USB to PC and a baud rate. I am guessing this turns the usb port on the reach to serial for output of the solution. I tried this while it was powered from my laptop. My computer never saw the reach. Have I misunderstood what this does?

I have never tried what you are trying to do myself, however based on what I have read on this forum, you need to have an adapter similar to the ones I have listed below. The adapter converts TTL voltages (~3.3 volts) to USB voltages (5 volts). I would first check to see if the adapter you want to buy is compatible with the OS running on your PC (i.e., drivers are available or built into OS).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7LQ88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is what I was doing. Are you using Reach View 2?

Serial on your Ubuntu should be something like /dev/ttyACM…

Can you show us your dmesg when you attach Reach with USB cable to it?

Nothing changes in dmesg and nothing changes in /dev

reachview says connected to /dev/ttyGS0

How are you connecting Reach to your PC?

The usb mini port

With the normal USB-to-microUSB cable? (not otg)

Yes and with this config.

1. Plug Reach out.

2. Now open console on Ubuntu and enter: dmesg -w

3. Plug in Reach in your computer, wait for it to load and show us a screenshot of dmesg after Reach is fully loaded.

Ok tried a different computer that I did a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 on and I am getting this now.

ttyACM0 is the device you are looking for

It appears the IT people locked out my other two machines from adding anymore usb/acm devices