Reach rx

Hello!!

I want to know if I will buy an Emlid Reach RX and I will always have a 3G/4G/5G signal on the phone, will it work in normal parameters? or does the distance to the reference stations matter?

I want to make topographical surveys, boundary markings or situation plans, mostly in country areas or even cities sometimes, there are also times when I have to go maybe 40-50 km away from the NTRIP reference station on a certain agricultural field in order to shows the boundary of the land.

Do you think it lends itself to this way of working? I specify that I will always try to have a minimum 3G signal, but 4G will be favorable.

Working, yeah, it might, but you won’t be getting repeatable, centimeter accurate results. You need to be below 15 km to ensure 2-3 cm CEP, when talking single station baselines.

3 Likes

I have attached a map with the areas of the reference stations that surround my place of activity

The circle radius from the center of the reference station position in 3 out of 4 circles does not exceed 50 km distance

So what you say is that I should not exceed the distance of 15 km from the location of the reference stations to be able to have centimeter precision?

Hi Serban,

When Christian mentioned a 15 km baseline, he considered instrumental accuracy. Reach RX has a horizontal precision of 7 mm + 1 ppm. This means that each kilometer of the baseline adds 1 mm to the accuracy. 7 mm + 15 mm = 22 mm - horizontal accuracy on the 15 km baseline.

According to the map you shared, the nearest base station is about 30-35 km, correct me if I’m wrong. So the horizontal accuracy will be 37-42 mm. This maths applies to any GNSS receiver.

1 Like

So in the maximum radius of 60km from the reference base, calculating the error according to the rover’s specifications H: 7mm+1ppm respectively V: 14mm+1ppm would result in H: 6.7 cm and V: 7.4cm, but in reality I assume that it should not exceed 10 - 15cm both errors. I specify that I need a maximum precision of 15 cm, but this only in cases where a better one really cannot be obtained.

Hi Serban,

It’s worth noting that instrumental accuracy represents the absolute accuracy of measured points - their true position on the Earth. If you measure the same point on such a baseline, you will likely get repeatable results. However, its absolute accuracy will be calculated considering the instrumental precision mentioned in the specs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.