Reach RS2 - NMEA output via serial port

I have to connect the Emlid Reach RS2 (firmware v.2.22.7) to a GSSI Profiler EMP-400 through a TDS Recon-400 PDA with RS232 serial port (DB9M).

The Profiler is designed to accept a NMEA GGA string (i.e. $GPGGA) and the GPS system COM output format should be configured as follows: 8 bits, N (No) parity, 1 (stop bit), BAUD: 4800/9600. The message rate must be set to 1 Hz.

I have two questions:

1. I have bought a “Reach RS2 cable 2m with DB9 FEMALE connector”, can I directly connect the Reach RS2 output port (UART) to the TDS Recon-400 PDA RS232 serial port ? Do I have to use a UART to RS232 Converter ?

2. Is it possible to set the Reach RS2 to output only a NMEA GGA message? Is it possible to set a $GPGGA message instead of a $GNGGA one?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Maurizio

1 Like

No and no.

RS2 puts out GNGGA not GPGGA. They have bot made selectable output. It is on th suggested changes

L1 Guidance Conversion

Ive pulled this off with additional hardware, But emlid is now looking into it. They are very receptive to this community forum but they have a very long to do list.

This system is always improving, but coding takes a pile of time.

1 Like

Hi jp-drain-sol and PotatoFarmer,

thanks for your answers. :slightly_smiling_face:

I know it is possible to set the u-blox GNSS chipset to use GPS satellites only and then output a $GPGGA message (via u-center software and proprietary commands), but Emlid Reach RS2 its another story because it has its own controller and firmware in between the user and the GNSS chipset. :worried: :slightly_frowning_face:

Cheers,
Maurizio

Correct, they are considering it but would have to add it to their system for ease of end user.

I am very hopeful as most Agricultural systems are looking for GP messages not GN

1 Like

Hi Maurizio,

Welcome to the community forum and sorry for the delay.

Reach RS2 has an RS-232 port. With the right type connector for the TDS Recon-400 PDA RS-232 port, you won’t need any additional converters.

Reach receivers output NMEA messages with GN prefix. In the meantime, it’s not possible to specify the talker via the software.

We’re considering adding the option of specifying the talker ID to the ReachView app. However, I can’t provide you with any ETAs now.

Thanks @PotatoFarmer and @jp-drain-sol for the input!

3 Likes

Thank to Liudmila and all the others :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.