Reach RS2 impressions

I got another unit from Thomas and it works great! I use GPS for other things than most people, I do pipe and cables and utility location and mapping. I have been using Trimble for a few years because some of the software for utility programs was dependent on a Trimble Receiver, I.E R8, and Trimble Access with my NetR5 ntrip base. Also Trimble 6000 XH with Terrasync. But the yearly fees for hardware and software will kill you if you don’t pay some event will come along and your stuff will not handle it and you are forced to pay. As I have changed my programs over to a lot of Android apps there have been stupid little things like no bluetooth NMEA streaming or control of the exact messages not allowed or needing another license to work that is when I decided to try the Emlid RS2, it has Bluetooth streaming to connect to android and good specs. I can share it between apps as a NMEA stream. Yes I found a few bugs in the android app to control the RS2 but you can and should use the Laptop Interface. As time goes on as the android bugs get taken care of this will be a wonderful device at a good cost. The fix comes in very fast and under city sidewalk trees it did a nice job of keeping a fixed position or getting it back fast when lost. 2 thumbs up from me.

7 Likes

A couple pictures of the RS2 being used on my locator cart.

3 Likes

Impressive. Just curious , how do you level the cart when working on slopes ? There is no tilt compansation in reachview yet , That I know of.:smile:

1 Like

Same here

You have to tilt the cart to the slope angle within reason, since this is for quick type work you can just pull bad observations out of the mix. We have back packs too with the antenna over your shoulder but they are even worse as you get tired over the course of the day. By the way the locator is still swung by hand back and forth over the target it just sits in the holder when not in use. Same kind of system goes on the GPR cart you just get it as close as you can for field collection but you only get as good of results as you put the effort into.

1 Like

I get it , you collect points roughly of the pipe or whatever your locating within 12” or so" range.

1 Like

The cart just needs a baby in it.

1 Like

Very nice use of RS2 ! I also came from the same Trimble / Leica outpriced world, where every little extra function and accessory means extra cash and huge yearly maintenance cost. Emlid and Ublox bring a new and fresh air in the geo-localisation world.
By the way, what are you using as pipe detector ?

2 Likes

We use the Vivax 5000 because it has an option called SiS Signal Select, when you are tracing a signal and you cross the path of other buried objects the locator will show if you are still on the target or if it has transferred to another line very much needed in congested areas. Another we use is a Seektech 60 because it can tell a good signal from a bad and is probably the best locator ever made, but it does not have bluetooth so for mapping with gps it does not work. We have almost every locator there is and these 2 do the best.

2 Likes

We use this. It gets erect when it detects a metal pipe or when the wind blows. Connect via Blacktooth.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.