Reach RS+ with Reach M+

I also noticed that the Rover_events.pos file has all the info I need that I could import into a spreadsheet but it only exported 347 of the 361 events. I would have lots of difficulty trying to figure out which ones were skipped and match up the rest.

So TBC doesnā€™t do a bundle adjustment after the initial tie-point matching? That would be the only step I can think of off the top of my head why a program that is meant to do georeferenced photogrammetry would have trouble with georeferenced images. I think if you can get through one of those tutorials you should be able to get the data you need. Be extra careful that your columns are mapped correctly.

That does happen a fair amount with many different setups, but that usually an effect of the autonomous image capture. What was you image interval? Were they spread out or bunched up?

Hi,
I re-flew the same site about a week ago, I changed camera settings and all images were taken along with all corresponding events. I am still not getting good satellite connection with the rover on the drone but base station works quite well. I am not using RTK so the two donā€™t need to communicate but I only received 2 green satellite bars out of 10 for the rover. I took my drone back to the company who put it together and they said moving the antenna higher isnā€™t possible because thereā€™s no location to secure it. They suggested that the GPS and cable may be bad. Would it be possible to get a replacement to test? If so, how would I go about requesting it? Thanks for any help

Hi,
Could you try placing your drone on the ground without powering, only the Reach unit should be on.
If your data is better its most likely not your antenna/cable but noise from your vessel.

1 Like

Hi,
The Reach unit is powered on through the drone, how would I turn on just the module?

Reach can be powered with a USB micro cable.

Thanks, I will try this.

Hi,
I was able to power up the rover using a micro cable and converter to outlet, got about 20 satellites 6 with strong signals (green bars) which is good. Disconnected the cable, powered up the drone with the batteries and received only 7 or 8 satellites with 2 green bars so it looks like there is some interference from the drone. What is a solution for this, some kind of shielding or moving the antenna?

Does reach share powersupply with the drone or has it its own?
Has the antenna valid grounplane above any of the eletronics onboard? The ground plane looks a bit small too. Whats the size of it?

And to me it looks like the ground plane is not solidā€¦

The reach shares power supply with the drone. Iā€™m not sure what the ground plane is, please explain.

Try using av separate powersupply for the Reach unit.
And then read this section carefully Antenna placement | RTK Modules

For what itā€™s worth I have had zero issues for almost a year now on a Phantom 4 Pro with the power being split off to either an M+ or M2. I have been running a 70mm groundplane for some time, but the only electronics near the antenna are inside the drone a good 4 inches away.

I would try putting a piece of aluminum foil (shiny side down) under the Reach antenna and see what you get. Next step would be to put a sheet covering everything. This will tell you if it is electronics interference. I see that the M600 batteries are 22.2v? Can you verify the voltage that the Reach unit is receiving? How much was it getting with your converter?

Hi,
I tried the aluminum foil and (surprisingly) it worked. Got about 20 satellites, 7 or 8 green bars which is the best reception Iā€™ve ever gotten. Took the foil off, 1 green bar. Covering the entire drone actually resulted in very few satellites and no green bars. What metal makes the best shield; copper, aluminum, steel, etc. By the way, the talisman is mounted on a plastic antenna and is not solid as you noticed so I guess itā€™s really not surprising that the foil worked. I donā€™t know the voltage measurements with the converter, thatā€™s a bit outside my expertise. I can ask the drone company that built the drone but they seem to be ghosting me a bit these days.

Also, does the satellite connection to the drone get stronger as the drone flies higher? I assume it works that way.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good sign! I have always had the best luck with aluminum. Maybe because it is non-conductive? It is strange that the entire covering behaved that way.
I would think you would get slightly more stable satellite and LoRa connections when at altitude.

1 Like

Great progress.
You would probably pick up more satellites in the lower part of the horizon and the ones that are already there will get slightly better SNR.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello there!

Just wanted to mention in this topic that you can now use our Emlid Studio to geotag photos. The workflow description is in our docs.

1 Like