Reach RS initial setup and connections

Does Reach RS needs an known ground coordinate location point given by DGPS for its initial base setup or it can acquire its position by itself and then later transfer corrections to rover?

How much distance Reach RS can communicate with the reach module attached in my drone.
Just to check the difference , and how much distance reach module when setup as a base can communicate with the reach module attached as rover in my drone ?

And finally if i go for Reach RS as my base station,
Do i need 1 Reach RS acting as a base and 2 Reach modules attached to my rover.
One module will communicate with my base for precision landing and the other module attached to my camera for geotagging photos inorder to avoid GCP’s.

Pls check me whether i’m thinking the concepts in right way.

[quote=“pearlsir.ms, post:1, topic:5234, full:true”]
Does Reach RS needs an known ground coordinate location point given by DGPS for its initial base setup or it can acquire its position by itself and then later transfer corrections to rover?[/quote]
You are asking about 2 different use cases and so I will give 2 answers:

• for drone precision landing: Yes, you would be performing RTK, so ReachRS needs to know it’s coordinates. You can enter them manually, or they can be calculated automatically by averaging over a certain time period (for example, 2 minutes)
  • for geotagging: No, you would probably be performing PPK, so ReachRS would only need to record a raw log file. Also Reach on the drone would also only need to record a raw log file. Eventually, when processing the logs, you would have to decide the coordinates of the ReachRS base.

[quote=“pearlsir.ms, post:1, topic:5234, full:true”]
How much distance Reach RS can communicate with the reach module attached in my drone.Just to check the difference , and how much distance reach module when setup as a base can communicate with the reach module attached as rover in my drone ?[/quote]
With wifi, the distance will be very short. You will need radios. Reach RS uses the LoRa radio which has very good range. I have not done long range testing, but I have got 2.6km and I know the others have gone much further.

Other than LoRa, you also have the option of connecting externally a different radio of your choice. One other alternative is to have some cellular modem at base and rover and send corrections over the cellular network.

Sorry, but I must defer this question to someone else.

2 Likes