Reach RS+ base/Reach M+ rover RTK GPS accuracy

Hi, I am using Reach RS+ as base and Reach M+ as rover. The rover is on a robocar which uses the GPS signal to drive autonomously, at about 5 miles per hour.

I found some GPS consistency/accuracy issue.

Support I want the rover to drive around the base in a circle. With good GPS signal, it works fine. However, if there are trees on some part of the circle path, the rover will have weak signal and lose the “Fix” GPS status. This is ok for me because I can use other sensor to guide the car under the tree. The problem for me are the following:

1. After the car passed the tree and under clear sky, it was very slow for the device to return to the “Fix” statue.
  2. Even the car return to the “Fix” status, it can not recover the original circle path. It will be running at a totally different path.

That mean the tree will totally messed up the GPS reference point. How can I fix these problem?

Trees block dampen GNSS signals, so there is really no miracle cure for this, as RTK have high demands to the SNR.
The RS2/M2 will perform better, and give you much faster fix-times, but also costs you a lot more.

1 Like

Hi @Autocar

After the car passed the tree and under clear sky, it was very slow for the device to return to the “Fix” statue.

Reach RS+ and Reach M+ are the single-band receivers, so it’s crucial to provide them with a clear sky view in order to get Fix status. Indeed, in the somewhat challenging environmental conditions, it might take longer for the single-band receiver to reestablish the fix solution.

However, it should not take an extremely long time. Would you mind specifying the Firmware version installed on your receivers?

Even the car return to the “Fix” status, it can not recover the original circle path. It will be running at a totally different path.

Could you please describe what do you mean by a totally different path: the car follows a shifted circle path or it goes in the other direction? Is the base placed under the trees or does it have a clear sky in those cases? May I ask you to provide me with the details of how you positioned the base?

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.