Reach RS 2+ base station & Mavic 3E drone

I planning to purchase Mavic 3E drone and want to use Reach 2+ as a base station. Can you share anyone experience? Is it work perfectly? Is Mavic 3E , bug or any issues?

I believe the methodology is the same for your drone

1 Like

I have been using this setup for about 18 months with zero issues. I can’t stress how much better results are with a local NTRIP configuration over PPK. I have never accepted network RTK though I could be ok with it with a short baseline and very reliable data services, if there was a real way to guarantee that… Processing with Emlid Studio can get pretty close in photogrammetry reports but when I upload RTK imagery to Propeller vs an Aeropoint and their PPK process it’s not even close. In my experience Emlid logs are way better than Aeropoint’s. Camera locations of 0.07ft with RTK vs 0.16ft with Propeller PPK.

4 Likes

I’ve had this setup for 1.5 years. It works pretty well, depending on what you want to do with it.
Many expect to be able to do accurate surveys with it, and the answer is no. Photogrametry is not a good solution for this in general. It may work on a minority of sites, but most will have grass or trees or other obstructions. That and the accuracy is lacking for tight work. LIDAR is a better solution, and even that will be inaccurate. The software for this is also a PITA or hugely expensive. There isn’t an affordable high-quality solution that I have found, and I have tried many of them.

It’s great for stockpile estimation or anything where you do not have to be within 10% of truth. If you are looking for general survey and the ability to ask a lot of questions about lengths and areas after flying, especially hard-to-reach zones, then this is perfect.

1 Like

This really depends on your definition of an “accurate survey” and what the situational requirements are. Truth is that photogrammetry is a better tool more often than LiDAR in my experience. Very rarely am I asked to topo anything with heavy enough vegitation that LiDAR is required. Processing and point cloud editing does a fine job of extracting DTMs and we hit 0.20ft on ground and 0.10ft on hard surfaces consistently which meet the requirements in our State. It sounds like you haven’t found the tools or workflow to carry the data out.

3 Likes

Well, in my last year and half of being an amateur photogrammetrist, I’m pleased with the accuracy and results that I’ve obtained on about 20 projects in experimenting with the Autel Evo II Pro RTK/Metashape.

Generally our use cases are for planimetric mapping (location of structures) and a few for topography . We consistently obtain 3-5 cm in both horizontal and vertical components if great care is taken with the number of images and GCP’s.

I mostly use our state’s RTN, but using a local base for RTK is more convenient if in the rural areas of no cell coverage.

4 Likes

michaelL, what do you use to process your photogrammetry? I’m in South Texas, so there is frequently a high level of vegetation.

Metashape for photogrammetry and Carlson Precision 3D Topo for DTM’ing, breaklines, cloud partition/merge, meshing and rectification to Survey control.

1 Like

Hi @tapos.25b,

I agree with Bryan and Michael. It’s easy to integrate RS2+ with DJI drones. Reach can send NTRIP corrections via Emlid Caster through the Internet or using the Local NTRIP option in Emlid Flow without connection to the Internet.

You can read more about the integration here.

1 Like