Reach -> Navio 2 Interfacing

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to interface the Reach to the Navio 2 via the RasPi USB. I currently use the UART port for a RFD900 radio.
I have tried connecting the Reach to the RasPi, the device appears to be recognized, drivers are loaded and ttyACM0 appears in the /dev/ folder. However under Reachview (ver 0.4 with 1.2 FW) the only serial device that can be selected is UART. I was aiming to use the -B command line option to specify the secondary GPS device address. I understand the Reach can be interfaced via a ethernet over USB method, but it appears APM doesn’t allow secondary GPS input via TCP.

Thanks,

Stu.

I just changed my rfd900 from uart to usb (via ftdi to usb). I ordered the same usb/ftdi cable that came with my rfd900 kit, cut out some cable length, soldered, and it was good to go.
AM

Thanks AM, yes a have an extra ftdi cable and have had the reach interfaced to the Navio 2 on the bench. But on our smaller hex I have limited room, the rfd900 cable is heavy and actually effects the navios balance a little. The lightweight flexible micro USB cable would be much more convenient, i might try a 3.3V usb ftdi breakout board at the radios end. Will also try with bluetooth tonight.

Cheers,

Stu.

It’s indeed heavy! I need that UART for Reach though… My bird is likely not as small as yours. Let me know how you come up with your solution.
Cheerio,
AM

Hi AM,

I got on of these and it worked perfectly with the RFD900+;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEYES-FTDI-USB-serial-module-USB-TO-UART-arduino-program-loader-/262005855090

The header on the bottom of the board connects directly to the pins on the radio, and it lets me use a much lighter weight and flexible USB cable to connect to the Raspi. Also a lot cheaper than the integrated FTDI USB cable. Not that this one is designed for a mini type A connector versus the micro connector in the Raspi/Reach.

Cheers,

Stu.

2 Likes