Reach module Mounting

Sorry if this is a daft question but should the reach module be mounted in a particular direction? I note that it has XYZ on it so do I put the gps on the top with the Edison stuck down flat.

I’m going to be attaching it to a pixhawk and assume that I do not need another gps?

Does reach have its own compass and can I anodized the ground plane plate?

Many thanks

Andrew

Its my understanding that the reach is sort of independent of any of this. What matters is the antenna and it requires a groundplane. The Reach docs go into this in detail.

1 Like

You can mount Reach in any orientation. You will need a separate compass, so using Reach as the second GPS is a good idea. Ground plane can be anodized.

2 Likes

Thanks Igor. I’ve found an external compass I can use so will try it with that first and then a primary gps with reach as the second gps unit. In an ideal world reach would be the sole GPS / Compass solution :slight_smile:

@Multirotorcraft mind sharing what you found? In the past I’ve used a cheap amazon GPS + Compass that works so so. So far haven’t been able to find much else ready to go solution.

Yes sure, mind you it may not be any better. http://www.droneshop.biz/apm-external-compass-module-with-cable.html

However reading Igor reply again it looks like we do need a primary GPS (including mag) with the reach unit being the secondary GPS.