Reach M2 - Output RS232 and 1 PPS

Hi,

I would like to output NMEA data through RS232 and 1 PPS from a Reach M2.
I’ve made a wiring diagram and I would like to know it sound correct to you.
Thanks for your help.

Charles Mura

3 Likes

Beautiful drawing very easy to understand.

The only issue I see is you need a ttl to 232 level converter to use RS232 with an M2.

Also ensure that your other devices PPS input is 5v tolerant. Do not plug in your usb cable if powered as In the above picture, its may cause damage getting powered from two sources.

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt answer! I will follow your advices.

One more question: Is it a rising or a falling PPS?

That I am unsure of, I have not used the PPS function yet it may be described in the reach docs.

I will check, and I can also check with an oscilloscope.

1 Like

If I were to guess I would say rising.

Have fun with your new M2 they are very cool GNSS receivers. There are many hours worth of cool projects and integrations on this forum. Let us know how your project turns out.

1 Like

Hi @cmura,

I can confirm that the rising PPS is used.

I would add the following comments regarding the wiring diagram:

• To output NMEA from Reach M2, you will need to connect the receiver’s TX to the survey device’s RX
  • The C2 port’s GND should be connected to the survey device’s GND
  • As @PotatoFarmer mentioned, you will need to use a UART to RS232 converter
1 Like

Hello,

I’ve change my settings a little bit and I’ve question regarding equipement:

1. What is the reference of the JST-GH plug need for C2? Is it GHR-05V-S?GH Connector.pdf (87.2 KB)
  2. Can I plug a Reach RS2 LoRa Antenna on Reach M2 LoRa Radio with 1 or 2 m of coaxial cable?

Thanks for your help.

Charles

Not sure about question 1

But I have used 10m of coax on a M2 base station without issue. Your only dealing with 0.1w so it just needs to be really low loss cable.

Ok, for question 1 I will ask directly to the Emlid support.

Hi @cmura,

What is the reference of the JST-GH plug need for C2? Is it GHR-05V-S?

You are right, it’s a standard GHR-05V-S connector.

Can I plug a Reach RS2 LoRa Antenna on Reach M2 LoRa Radio with 1 or 2 m of coaxial cable?

It should be possible to plug the antenna this way. However, we usually don’t recommend using an extension cable for the LoRa radio antenna since it may affect its performance.

The Reach RS2 LoRa radio antenna is compatible to work with the LoRa radio module. However, the LoRa radio is low-powered. So, there will be no great difference in the effectiveness compared to the Reach RS+ antenna that comes with the module.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.