Reach M+ with pixhawk 2

Hello, greetings from Northern California. A lot of home time these days. I have a small RC Boat and I have the Reach M+ and a pixhawk 2. I purchased the optional pixhawk 2 jst cable with the M+

If anyone else has done a similar setup , please share any setup things I’m missing. I will go out again tomorrow, I made a few mission planner tweaks I saw in a Emlid setup guide.

1. I have the JST cable going from the S1 port to the GPS2 on the Pixhawk2 , This does not seem to be enough to power the M+. Only the red like comes on for a bit, then it goes off. When powered with the micro USB it works fine. That i can work around, but it would be nice not using the USB.

2. Antenna in plugged in

3. Sateliites and position is good in the app

4. Mission planner, no gps

I did more testing today. The M+ seems to be working great 22 satellites on its own. When I plug the jst from S1 port into the pixhawk 2 GPS 2 port , I lose all satellites and position in the app. Also I I tried to put it in the telem2 plug , same thing all satellites lost in app. The telem 2 port did have enough juice to power the M+ so that’s interesting.

Has anyone used the M+ in the pixhawk2 ? Any help would be great

Hi @bathylogger,

PixHawk may not provide enough power for Reach M+. Reach M+ device requires a stable power source to operate properly. That’s why our general recommendation is to provide Reach M+ with an additional power source while integrating with PixHawk.

I have been powering the M+ with the USB and battery separate. On its own it seems to work great. When I plug in the optional jst cable for the pixhawk2 from S1 to GPS2 I lose everything. position stops showing in the app.

Update: I’m sure at one point others will be doing this.

1. The M+ needs to be powered from the USB dont bother trying to power from the pixhawk2 plugs like GPS2 or Telem. I will buy a 6" male to male micro usb and power the M+ from the cube micro usb slot.

2. I used the optional jst wire sold by Emlid for the pixhawk2. It goes from the S1 port to the GPS2 port on the pix hawk. Since they dont want the M+ powered twice, I pulled all wires except RX and TX .

3. My boat shape is at least showing in mission planner , its hopping around, I hope to get .5 - 1 meter stand alone accuracy, thats all i need to follow survey lines. I’ll do more testing and play around with some settings.

2 Likes

Hi @bathylogger,

Keep us posted regarding your tests!

update
So I have it working, for the most part, without any added corrections, stand alone I get it around 1m accuracy, which is fine for following grid lines. ( Note: We use a more accurate RTK RS2 for the actual depth survey data.) Sometimes its just not usable, bad satellite conditions, thick dark moist cloud cover, whatever. I think thats normal.

1. The M+ needs to be powered from the USB dont bother trying to power from the pixhawk2 plugs like GPS2 or Telem. Power using USB with a external power supply.

2. I used the optional jst wire sold by Emlid for the pixhawk2. It goes from the S1 port to the GPS2 port on the pix hawk. Since they dont want the M+ powered twice, I pulled all wires except RX and TX and ground

3. My boat shape is showing in mission planner when we get a fix, I am not in an ideal location, at one point my position was hopping around i raised the external antenna 2 feet and it was night and day, so im confident in an open area it will perform much better.

4. param GPS_type2 set to 13 for ERD

5. Another option for more accurate GPS fix in the pixhawk2 is to run a 9 pin hard cable from the RS2 , run through a TTL converter and bring into the pixhawk GPS1 port.

1 Like

Hi @bathylogger,

Great to hear you almost finished the setup!

It’d be nice to see some photos or videos of a working build :slightly_smiling_face:

OK I’ll take it out to the lake when I get a chance all testing has been done in our parking lot for now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.