It was being powered by the USB cable from a battery pack. I was going through the configuration before first use. After 10 minutes or so I touched the unit and it was very hot. I was able to hold my hand on it, but barely. The only other connection to the reach unit was the tallysman antenna.
Is this normal behaviour for a new unit? is my unit likely defective? what kind of tests can I do to find if my unit is normal?
I have a thought. Looking at the case and the ports coming out it looks like the internals may be mounted high in the case (by ~0.5mm-1mm). I suppose if the top of the emlid chip were flush against the plastic case it would be difficult to shed heat. I may shave some plastic off the internal mounts and see if sitting lower int the case may allow some clearance for airflow.
I think the original purpose for the M+ is mounting on a drone, where downwash from the propellors tends to cool the units. If being used in a passive environment, without good ventilation, maybe consider mounting it in a box with a computer fan to provide improved airflow…?
it is a 5V, 2200 mAh 18650 battery pack. It powered a previous Reach M+ without overheating it.
All the clearance in the Reach M+ housing is on the bottom. Almost no clearance on the chip side. I have removed the top cover and there is even some tiny indents where it looks like the silver emlid chip cover seems pressed against the black plastic housing. I would imagine this is not optimal for cooling. Is this possibly a problem?
Ok, in order to test the (lack of) ventilation hypothesis I removed the top cover, plugged into PC USB port and let it be. Here is the temperature trace from the logs on it’s way to what I suspect is a temperature related shutdown. 97° is the last recorded temperature:
It overheats when naked. Do I have a defective unit?