Reach M+, getting fix is really difficult

Hi, I am using a Reach M+ as a rover, and the Android app to control it. The same phone is the hotspot as well. My Base correction is coming through NTRIP, the base is within 2kms, and the delay is usually under 1.5 second. The region is more or less free of occlusions (2 floor buildings ~50 m away).
I have trouble getting a stable fix. Reachview version: v2.16.2. System report attached at bottom.

Steps:

1. Start hotspot
  2. Start reach m+ (connects to hotspot)
  3. Place reach in the middle of the field, antenna far from powerbank, or reach
  4. Wait for fix

Observed problems:

1. Getting fix takes a long time, sometimes won’t happen in 20 minutes
  2. Both base and rover sees lot of satellites (above 15), but very few are green
  3. Sometimes we get a fix, but lose it immediately, even with fix and hold
  4. Sometimes with a really strong fix (AR=999) the position won’t change when rover moves. On the map in the app, the green dots stay, but the gray line (what is that?) seems accurate and follows it
  5. Downloading the logs on Android does not work, the download button literally gets stuck

I need a reliable solution to get an accurate position. Any advice on my settings is welcome, I am new to the topic.
Post processing is also an option if you say it will solve my problems, but would be nice to see on the field if it is working (e.g. if it says float on the field, can I get fixed solution in post?).

Thanks a lot!
Andras

Simple system report

app version: 2.16.2-r0

'wifi_status, interface: wlan0':

- wifi_mode: infrastructure

- ip: 192.168.43.98

is_added: true

is_connected: true

is_visible: false

mac_address: 28:ED:E0:D6:77:7F

security: wpa-psk

ssid: trololo

uuid: 63475fde-9c20-49b8-8a11-96e65f59dc51

base mode:

base coordinates:

accumulation: '2'

antenna offset:

east: '0'

north: '0'

up: '0'

coordinates:

- '0'

- '0'

- '0'

format: llh

mode: single-and-hold

output:

enabled: true

format: rtcm3

path: tcpsvr://:9000#rtcm3

type: tcpsvr

rtcm3 messages:

'1002':

frequency: '1'

'1006':

frequency: '0.1'

'1010':

'1097':

enabled: false

'1107':

'1117':

'1127':

bluetooth:

discoverable: false

pin: '***'

camera:

duty cycle: 20

enable: false

period: 2

polarity: true

correction input:

input2:

path: 3me:***@[gnss1.tudelft.nl:2101/DLF10](http://gnss1.tudelft.nl:2101/DLF10)

send position to base: single

type: ntripcli

input3:

path: :9028

logging:

base:

format: RTCM3

started: false

version: null

correction:

format: RTCM3

started: true

interval: 1

overwrite: true

raw:

format: UBX

solution:

format: LLH

lora:

air rate: 2.6000000000000001

frequency: 868000

output power: 20

position output:

output1:

format: erb

path: ttyMFD2:38400:8:n:1:off

type: serial

output2:

path: :9001

output3:

path: :2014

output4:

format: llh_ext

path: :2015

rtk settings:

elevation mask angle: '15'

glonass ar mode: 'off'

gps ar mode: fix-and-hold

max horizontal acceleration: '2'

max vertical acceleration: '1'

positioning mode: kinematic

positioning systems:

compass: false

galileo: true

glonass: true

gps: true

qzss: true

sbas: true

snr mask: '20'

update rate: '5'

A few inputs from your comments and the report:

• Set Glonass AR to on
  • Experiment with increasing the Elevation mask angle, try 20 for a start.
  • Can you post an image of your antenna setup and drone-setup in general ? It sounds like the antenna-environment is sub-optimal
1 Like

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

• I have read it here that Glonass AR should be turned off if base is not reach (it is not). I can of course turn it on anyway! :slight_smile:
  • Elevation mask is low to have more Satellites used, but you are right, with buildings around, I might just make it narrower.

What do you think of the used satellite types and the SNR?
Also do you know what the gray line is on the map view? see screenshot.
Going out to try these now. Thanks a lot again!

Correct! Thanks for reminding me!
On that note, what is your baseline?

The better SNR the quicker the fix, usually. But being close to structures can of course introduce multi path, and then you’re a bit screwed.

This “just” looks like a plain cosmetic bug that needs reproduction and fixing from Emlid dev.

Play with your your constellation groups. What constellations are you using? Try starting with GPS only then add them one by one. I would suggest keeping a logbook for different areas. I have a couple that get poor GLONASS communication.

1 Like

Hi, so I should not use Glonass AR afterall? I went out with 25 elevation mask, GLONASS AR turned on, SNR to 30, and got fix in reasonable time (3-4 minutes).

About the baseline, the base is 1.9 km away, and should be super accurate (one of the reference stations for the global systems: http://gnss1.tudelft.nl/

About the cosmetic bug: ok that sounds reassuring. Unfortunately it happened several times, but I will ignore it then.

1 Like

Thanks for answering!
for now it was everything but BEIDOU. A High framerate is required for the application, so I cannot go under 5 Hz.

If it works, I don’t see why not!
3-4 mins isn’t too bad at all!

Thanks! What is your average?
And would you suggest to use post processing if it is possible?

Hi András,

Could you please share the photo of your antenna setup?

1 Like

Anything between 1 mins and 10 mins. Sometimes not at all though, then switching/cycling once between Static/Kinematic usually helps. Fix-and-hold usually gives me a fix slightly faster.

1 Like

Hi @palffyandras,

@wizprod is right, it’s better to turn GLONASS AR mode on. From v2.14.0 ReachView version, Reach is able to correct GLONASS inter-frequency biases, allowing for GLONASS AR with non-Reach bases.

We’ll fix that in our docs as well. Thanks for noticing!

2 Likes

So you are wanting to run less than 5hz on your Rover? I would run five as a minimum.

Hello, the antenna is usually tied to the top of my head, facing up. There is no ground plane, because we use radar and afraid that metal ground plane would mess up the recordings. This is the intended use-case. To get a fix, I usually place it on the car hood first. Is this enough, or should I post a selfie with it? :smiley:

Alternatively, purely for test applications (to calibrate with other sensors) we also place the antenna on a plastic tube elevating it from the ground by 50 cm.

I think you misunderstood me, 5Hz is the minimum we could use, 14 would be better, but it also means less satellites.

You’ll have to post a selfie… obviously only for educational purposes of course… not because I want to see a facemounted GNSS-antenna at all, noooo no! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming! I will leave it on then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess you earned it :smiley:
That is me, with antenna on the top of my head, reach M+ and powerbank in front pocket.

1 Like

Awesome ! :smiley:
A 12-14 cm diameter groundplane, along with keeping the antenna level at all time will help immensely on your signal quality. As your setup is currently, you’ll have a lot of multipath-issue coming from the ground.

How do use You a radar in a way that a groundplane would interfere? Doesn’t healthy to be that close to radar-device!

1 Like

It is an automotive radar in the car!