Reach Firmware 28 Beta 3 is out for all devices

There is a mismatch filling the base height under base mode and logging. Which is somewhat confusing.
In base mode ARP is needed (e.g 65mm + distance from base bottom to ground point),
but in logging ARP is already taking care of. But then problem nr 2 occurs.
From the picture, I have already filled in the base height but it is not taken into account when enabling base height.

Both screens are from the Reachview panel, not the app

1 Like

Hello everyone!

We’ve just released the new version of Reach Firmware - 28 Beta 2!

Improvements:

• Improved work with RTCM3 antenna description messages
  • Added an option to record backup raw log with RINEX log enabled. It’s disabled by default
  • The default rate for RINEX PPP presets was updated to 30 seconds
  • In PPP presets, IBGE was added for single-band receivers

Fixes:

• Issue when Reach RS2 charge indication shows 99% while being fully charged
  • Rare cases when the receiver might be stuck in the scanning Wi-Fi state
  • Some cases when Reach RS+ might overheat and turn off
  • Shutting down and reboot using ReachView 3 app
9 Likes

Hi, @TB_RTK!

Thanks for the report, we’ll take that into account in the future firmware updates!

5 Likes

Hello!

We’ve pushed the new update of Reach Firmware - 28 Beta 3! It fixes an issue that could cause the firmware to revert to a previous version after an upgrade

7 Likes

This is how rumours start,

Okay, it says copy secret
 so somebody do that and ctrl v in a .txt or hex editor. The data may be tell us what cool stuff is in the works!!!

My town has the worlds largest Pysanka (easter egg), so I cant resist a good easter egg.

3 Likes

Hi dmitry.skorykh

As is done in the case of the IBGE for the L1 receiver?, since only the antenna calibration for dual frequency is available(igs_antex).

Hi Bernardo,

Reach RS+ is a single-frequency device, so it doesn’t require antenna calibration. You can add 0.065 m for the antenna offset. However, PPP services provide only around 30 cm accuracy for single-band data.

3 Likes

@logging and autostart with ubx backup
When Autosart is enabled and no antenna is attached, the recording counter appears as well.
When only chosen Rinex it does not make a file when stopped. When “backup source for Rinex” is also chosen in the logging settings (the ubx backup), it creates a small ubx file everytime.

I use the “without antenna mode” for downloading files via SSH and the creation of new files messes things up a little bit there.

Green GNSS LED Indicator (M2):
The green GNSS LED indicator always glows continously after startup, even when there is no antenna attached. This would defeat the purpose of this this green LED a little bit.

It was helpful in the field to see at a glance if there is any signal (or problem).
Now I always have to take a look into the app to see if the signal is ok.

edit
(yes, its more a timesync thing than actual GNSS health, but still helpfull to spot problems fast)

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: The New ReachView 3 is out

Hi @goamberg,

I use the “without antenna mode” for downloading files via SSH and the creation of new files messes things up a little bit there.

Thanks for noticing! I’ll talk it through with the team.

Just one note from my side - since the 28 Beta 1 version, Reach M2 is visible in ReachView 3 even if the antenna is not attached and the unit works in the hotspot mode. So, I’d recommend using the app as a more straightforward way to get logs.

The green GNSS LED indicator always glows continously after startup, even when there is no antenna attached.

The unit can pass time sync even without an antenna attached if it’s connected to the Internet. So, the blinking green LED indicates that Reach is trying to pass time sync in any way.

If the receiver behaves well and the satellite reception is fine, it’ll pass time sync quickly. You’ll see the solid green light then.

3 Likes

Yes I noticed. That is very good and helpful. But for clients we do the download automatically in our own app via SSH.

At my unit here, it always switches to solid green.
The unit is in hotspot mode (solid blue) and no antenna attached. So no internet/GNSS available for the Receiver. It always changes to solid green.

edit:
flashed another M2 unit to test; and its the same

Hi @goamberg,

The unit is in hotspot mode (solid blue) and no antenna attached. So no internet/GNSS available for the Receiver. It always changes to solid green.

Oh, that’s a true point as well. The solid green LED shows that the unit operates fine and is accessible in the ReachView 3 app. Since Reach M2 on the latest firmware is available in ReachView 3 even when it doesn’t pass time sync, it switches to solid green after a while anyway. It can be useful since you know that you can connect to your Reach to get data.

If you’d like it to work another way, can you describe the desired workflow? Why would it be helpful for you?

@kseniia.suzdaltseva

For me out in the field with mostly custom M2 builds and custom Antenna, it is always a good indicator that GNSS signals are coming to the receiver (and timesync) without the need to go into the app. With this it is also showing when recording starts (I work mostly with auto logging feature), which goes hand in hand.

In my opinion, how it is now in the 28 beta, it is basically the same as the Power LED. Just takes a couple seconds more to get solid.

Maybe we could keep the green LED for GNSS/Timesync/Point collection and use the Power LED for powering up the Receiver? Like blinking Orange until startup is ready?

But I can only tell how it is for me, maybe others could add some of their perspective

Hi @goamberg,

If there’s no Internet access, time sync indeed indicates that Reach M2 got some GNSS signals. However, it doesn’t always mean it sees satellites fine and can calculate accurate coordinates.

I’d recommend providing your Reach with a good sky view and checking that the antenna meets the specs. This way, you can ensure that your receiver will track enough satellites. If you’d like to check the exact number of satellites, the app is needed anyway.

Still, our discussion makes me think if we can improve something. I’ll talk about this with the team. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2 Likes

I had an issue yesterday where one of our RS2’s wouldn’t turn on. I connected it to a wall charger for a couple of second and it booted right up with 3 dots of power. It charged and worked normally after that.

Absolutely. It is a very rough indicator in the startup phase, but an indicator nonetheless.

But working with 3-5 Rovers in parallel under timepressure mounted on athletes
every quick visual help is appreciated :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

Sounds weird. Can you share a Full System report from this unit and its Serial number with me via support@emlid.com? Also, please describe how your Reach stopped turning on. If something specific happened just before it, it would help to find out the cause.

1 Like

I’ll do that if it happens again. The only outliers I can think of is that it had been sitting for a couple of days in my truck and it was colder than normal. Worked fine yesterday as well.

1 Like

New problem today. I just located top and bottom of wall for about 0.5 miles and when I opened the CSV I sent to myself it was missing the first 76 points I shot. I am 100% certain that it collected those points as I referenced them many times for spacing on the first wall. Walls 2-5 are there in their entirety but wall 1 is completely gone. I did not change anything and went directly to wall 2 from wall 1 without shutting down.