Reach does not charge through cable

That’s what the CBL101 is for. This way you can splice the end of it in however many different ways one needs to for their specific application.

2 Likes

Ok… I’ve connected a 12vdc power supply and am now getting a good charge current at .84 amps. This should work well as it matches most vehicle electrical system (where the rovers will be installed).

But, I still have a logistical problem to solve; the antennas will be mounted in such a way that getting access to them (to press the power button) will be difficult, is there a way to remotely power up the antennas?

I’ve already tried applying a charge through the micro USB and the Reach plug but neither one powers it up.

1 Like

The answer to your question depends on which model you have. Is it RS or RS+?

For RS+, there is a way to do that. For RS, there is no official way to do it.

1 Like

Thanks bide, appreciate all your help. Looks like we will need to find a way to keep them powered 24/7… or look at getting the new + units.

@pet.GSS

Depending on ambient temperature, unit variation, charger dropping voltage under load, length of a cable, cable gauge etc. 5.0V chargers may not be suitable for powering Reach RS/RS+ through an extension port when the unit is on (but the battery still may charge if it’s off).
It was mostly intended that Reach RS/RS+ units would be powered through an extension port using stable power sources with higher voltage (like car batteries, 12V power networks etc.).
We’ll think how to cover that better in the docs & specs.

3 Likes

We connect the rover antennas via USB into a laptop to read the serial data; so for our installation if the antennas were to power up automatically when the laptops are turned on and the battery is able to be charged from 5vdc, this would be an ideal solution. :slight_smile:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Reach RS+ cannot charge after being switched off for more than 1 month

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.