Raspbian Stretch Release for Navio with ArduCopter-3.5 and ROS Kinetic

Any tutorial on how to configure a raspberry pi in your environment is aplicable. Just connect a usb keyboard and use a HDMI monitor.

Stretch introduces predictable network interface names which have been used in other distributions for some time.

Example here:

So now run

sudo emlidtool ardupilot

choose your options, choose apply, choose quit and the NavIO2 should appear magically on QGC :slight_smile:

1 Like

:grin: Can make changes to the TELEM1="-A udp:127.0.0.1:14550" (input the correct ip) and can connect to a laptop or a tablet. That works now. Not sure what I was doing before. I was doing that but couldn’t connect. Maybe to impatient.

In ardupilot, when I wasn’t connected the Tests all were positive and now Arducopter is running and looks to be fine.

I was having problems with the keyboard not imputing the correct characters, mainly, this one “|”. I was looking at trying to get the camera working. I’ve seen it capture a still image and a video stream when using raspi commands but I’ve not yet been able to stream live video to QGroundControl. Any ideas?

I can ping the laptop from pi@navio:~ $ and there is communication. Camera, i need the camera to be working! :persevere:Please help me.

I noticed just now that when I make a change to the ip address and save i didn’t automatically get a connection in QGroundControl. I looked at the emlidtool ardupilot and it said connected. I disconnected and then went through and connected and straight away heard QGC connect. I see I will always have to do that. Is that because the Navio2 wasn’t restarted/powered-down?

Thanks for you help, by the way. :innocent:

I suggest that you can use the following line for the Telem1

TELEM1="-A udp:255.255.255.255:14550:bcast"

With this line NavIO2 will broadcast to all IP address :slight_smile: so you can connect from different computers acting as a GCS :slight_smile:

A post was merged into an existing topic: GStreamer on new setup

Yep, did that. If I’m connected to my laptop then try to connect to my tablet I couldn’t. I disconnected the laptop and Navio2. Then reset the Navio2 by resetting the power and then turned on again. With the table running QGroundControl when the Navio fired up it connected. Nice. Not sure on the exact procedure to connect more than one device. But one is enough and it’s nice not having to change IPs.

I have another question. How can I setup the camera? I’m using the wifi from the raspberry pi and my laptop. Is it possible to do that video stream?

I still haven’t set up gstreamer. I just can’t follow exactly what I’m suppose to do. What to do for windows and for android, i don’t know. I tested the pi camera and that works. Took a photo and a video with it. But now what?

I’m just not sure on the hardware side of things, like the wifi nor the setup. Raspberry pi comes with gstreamer installed, doesn’t it?

I’m almost there. Just need to video to work and it’ll be a Killer Setup. Rivalling DJI’s Light Bridge 2 i think so. ezUHF with a good video stream and ground station / osd. Mad fun, if I can get this to work. I’m so excited but this is doing my head in now. HELP ME PLEASE, Some body!
:sweat_smile:

Are you here refering to the auxiliary function switches on channels 5-8?

In the navio2 docs it still says “Auxiliary function switches on channels 5-8 are still not supported and could lead to erroneous PWM generation on motors’ channels.”

Cheers, great work!

Yep. Now everything works fine except a very specific setup like hexa + gimbals on channels 7-8 @ 50Hz. Other than that we’re secured.

This is an old bit that we’ll get rid of! Thanks for noticing.

1 Like

I did it, then I changed it back, then i changed it back again. It will remain like this, I guess.

I have a question, actually one or two questions.

If TELEM1="-A udp:255.255.255.255:14550:bcast" allows Navio to connect to different computers acting as a GCS how then could I do the same for the camera’s remote_ip? Using this some how?, 255.255.255.255:14550:bcast :crazy_face:

pi@navio: ~ raspivid -n -w 1280 -h 720 -b 1000000 -fps 15 -t 0 -o - | gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=10 pt=96 ! udpsink host=<remote_ip> port=9000

Also, I’d like this to all start when the Navio2 first starts.

I created this file
sudo touch /etc/systemd/system/raspicam.service

Edited to change it to this
[Unit]
Description=raspivid
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c “/usr/bin/raspivid -n -w 1280 -h 720 -b 1000000 -fps 15 -t 0 -o - | gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=10 pt=96 ! udpsink host=<remote_ip> port=9000”

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

Tested - nothing happened.
Tried to save and run on bootup. Nothing. Not sure what I can do. Any suggestions? Someone has to have had this working. Thanks.

You should replace remote ip with the address of your GCS computer/ video receiver

Yes, but, as I’m connected, at the moment, to my home wifi everytime I login on the laptop my ip address changes and because of that I then need to change the host=<remote_ip>. The goal is to have the Flight Controller stream video automatically everytime I power-up. Not sure what I have to do? How are you guys getting the video to stream automatically everytime you turn on the Raspi/Navio2? Do I have to get it so my ip never changes?

I think I did that. I will check to make sure :crazy_face: After all, the reason I wasn’t getting video to stream to QGS was because of the changing ip address.

I’m still having the locale error after generating the appropriate locale by uncommenting a line in locale.gen and running locale-gen.

-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)

Any suggestions, and why does it say en_US.UTF-8?

Cheers

EDIT:

This worked for me: These files can be edited with the appropriate locale.

sudo nano /etc/environment
sudo nano /etc/locale.gen
update-locale LANG="change-to-appropriate-locale-here"
sudo locale-gen

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 100 days. New replies are no longer allowed.