Quadrature Motor Encoder

Hi all,

I’ve a Lynmotion wheeled platform with 4 gear motors and about to get encoders for them from Lynxmotion as well (motors are encoders compatible). Motors are controlled via Sabertooth (PWM signal from Navio+).
I did a lot of research, but stuck for now trying to get idea about the protocol (data format) for the encoders. It seems everyone refers to them as a standard USDigital encoders, but even this doesn’t help me getting idea of how to read results from encoders.

The only idea I have - is it seems PPM input should help, but I really would appreciate your help with if it’s possible to read whose encoders using Navio+!

Thank you all in advance for your help!

PS: Just in case - here is the link to encoders: http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-448-quadrature-motor-encoder-wcable.aspx

Hi,

Take a look: Arduino Playground - RotaryEncoders - here is a good example of how to read a quadrature encoder with an Arduino.
Rotary Encoder Library for the Raspberry Pi - or the raspberry pi

Basically the way quadrature encoding works is that you have 2 channels, A and B, outputting two square-wave signals, offset one from another. By counting the state-changes in any of the channels, you get the number of steps an encoder made. By comparing the state of the two signals it is possible to determine the direction of rotation.