I just wanted to share my prototype quadcopter. It has yet to make it’s first flight, but tests are looking good.
- Frame: Turnigy Talon v2 QuadCopter frame (550mm)
- ESC’s: Afro 20A HV (flashed with BLHeli firmware)
- BEC: Turnigy 5A SBEC (8-40V).
- Motors: Multistar Elite 3508-268kv
- Props: 15x55 carbon fibre (they have almost no clearance, so I might change them to 14" or even 13").
- Battery: Gens Ace 1450mAh 6S1P (to be upgraded to higher capacity)
- TX/RX: Futaba T14SG (mode2) / Futaba R7008SB
- Flight Controller: RPi 1 model B w/ Navio RAW
The battery leads are routed via an AttoPilot 180A voltage/current sense board and then connected to a self-made wiring harness to feed the BEC and ESC’s. The RPi+Navio+receiver are all powered by the BEC via Navio’s servo rail (I put a jumper between the servo rail and the 5VRPI-pin). The AttoPilot’s outputs are connected to the ADC on the Navio.
As I couldn’t find any SBUS to PPM converters and/or PPM receivers in stock anywhere in Europe, I decided to try the SBUS decoding with ArduCopter. Unfortunately, this proved to be useless (delay’s of several seconds were not uncommon).
Several weeks later, still no PPM converters in stock at all mayor shops in the EU, I had to find an other way: I noticed the APM code tries to decode PPM, SBUS and DSM protocols on the same input pin, regardless of how the actual signal is encoded. Once I disabled the PPM and DSM decoding functions (see libraries/AP_HAL_Linux/RCInput.cpp, comment out lines 331 and 337) and recompiled the code, the SBUS decoding seems to be working much better. I still have to test this in-flight, so don’t get your hopes up, just yet.
I also have a RPi 2 + Navio+, but that one is currently serving as a test-platform for my Python-Navio extension. It might find it’s way to a new quad or hex once I start my own autopilot project written in Python.
Oh, the pics ofcourse: